Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My upgrade idea....

Here is what has dawned on me...

I have a vb2.3.4 live forum - 4,000+ members, 23,000+ threads, and 190,000+ posts. I have backed it up last week and upgraded that backup so I can customise the new forums. I was worried about importing the live database from 2.3.4 onto vb3 customised and losing some settings...here is my idea for a safe upgrade of the live database into my customised forums (note I dont want help in customisation, just the intelligence of this move).

1) backup live database

2) create another forums directory.

3) using new backup of live database (while forums are offline for an hour) upgrade that database into a standard install of vb3

4) backup the newly created database

5) delete the standard vb3 install and the vb2 install

6) delete the TABLES from my testing vb3 install (the customised one) and run the .sql file of the latest live db into the database so that my vb2 database is upgraded into my vb3 customised forum?

That sound long winded to anyone? I cant seem to find much about setting up vb options etc as wanted and then closing forums for upgrade.

One thing: general settings for the board - are they stored in the database? If so I will just leave the settings table from the set up version of vb3 in the database and just not copy that in from the upgraded live version.

A little bit overkill. If you want to do a live upgrade like this, I suggest to make a backup of the live version, close it down. Do a test upgrade and if that works a live upgrade. Then open the forum again.

Exporting and importing sql tables and things will cause issues sometimes. So make sure you know what you are doing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X