Forum getting too big!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum getting too big!

Ok I have a Satellite Forum, which has quickly grown into the Internet's Largest Satellite Forum!

During the day our adverage amount of users online is about 1,000. (With a 30 min cookie)

We have seperate forums for each of the US's Satellite Companies

DirecTV
    Dish Network
    VOOM
    Sky Angel

Because we are getting so large people are getting upset because when they come in they click on New Posts and see all the hundreds of posts from all the forums. When usually people only want info from 1 or 2 of the forums.

I would like to give people a way to turn off forums they don't want to see, and only subscribe to the forums they want.

Is there any easy way to do this? Maybe public usergroups of something?

Thanks for your help!
    Yup I run a BIG Board.

Originally posted by scottct1

Because we are getting so large people are getting upset because when they come in they click on New Posts and see all the hundreds of posts from all the forums. When usually people only want info from 1 or 2 of the forums.

I would like to give people a way to turn off forums they don't want to see, and only subscribe to the forums they want.

Is there any easy way to do this? Maybe public usergroups of something?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, public usergroups would be ideal for this - as it would allow users to have the control to adjust what subforums they see.

I would recommend dividing your subs up by category, and then controlling the viewability of those categories by public usergroups.
    echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

Ok...

Now how do I go about doing this..

1) I want all memebers to be members of all public groups (including guests)

2) I want the members to be able to unsubscribe from the groups they don't want.

So how do I make everyone members of all public usergroups (including guests)

Thanks
      Yup I run a BIG Board.

Comment

Members can subscribe to forums (without getting emails) which they can view a list of in their User CP, subscription section.

Comment

Originally posted by scottct1

Ok...

Now how do I go about doing this..

1) I want all memebers to be members of all public groups (including guests)

2) I want the members to be able to unsubscribe from the groups they don't want.

So how do I make everyone members of all public usergroups (including guests)

Thanks

Well, if nothing else, you could probably accomplish this by setting up a Promotion that will activate immediately after a user registers (well, within an hour, anyway).

It's not the prettiest way to do it, but it would get it done.

I'm sure there has to be a more elegant solution, though. I'll post again when I have the time to research it, or perhaps someone else might be aware of how best to accomplish this.
          echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

A simple solution if this is possible is to use the getnew=x and add a variable for X forum then make a menu on the nav bar for "New Posts" then someone clicks on it and have the option of:
            Since last visit
            All new Posts
            SkyDish
            DirectTV

and so on. That's the simplest way to do it wouldn't the string be something like
            Code:
            search.php?getnew=x&forumdid=x
            something along those lines?

Comment

Working...
            X