How do I Kill a user ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I Kill a user ?

OK - I know what you are thinking and yes users can be annoying but I don't actually want anyone dead (yet)

What I want to be able to do is log out a user using my admin account. So i can see someone causing trouble and bump them off while I sort the problem out and set their ban in place etc etc.

Is it possible ?

TIA

Well at the very least you could ban them for 24 hours and sort it out during that time. And you can send them to a user group which has no access priileges.

In another thread here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42624

they say you can use the MySQL command you just enter it into the query box in phpMyAdmin:

DELETE FROM session WHERE userid=X;

Then you can ban then for the day.

DELETE FROM session

would kick everybody off.

There is also an edit at vBulletin.org, called Miserable Users for vB3, which you can review at:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59727

This Hack will allow you to drive away people from your board without banning them. As explained by Zzed, the author of the original (vB2) hack:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zzed
    So here is what really happens to a miserable user:

- There is a random 60-120 second delay each time they click on a link.
    - 90% of times they have no search engine acccess.
    - 75% of the times they get the server too busy error.

If they don't get the server too busy error:
    - 50% of the times they may get a blank page
    - 30% of the times they may get forwarded to the forum main page
    - 20% of the time they may be able to see the page they asked for.

This vB3 hack uses NO FILE EDITS. Instead, it's all template based and Usergroup-based, making it even easier for you to manage your Miserable Users.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Slappy

Comment

Originally posted by slappy
      In another thread here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42624

they say you can use the MySQL command you just enter it into the query box in phpMyAdmin:

DELETE FROM session WHERE userid=X;

Then you can ban then for the day.

DELETE FROM session

would kick everybody off.
      And what's that good for? If they are using cookies the session is back in place with the next page load.

Comment

Well did you actually read the thread or just wondering? They did talk about the cookie issue. However, I did suggest using the technique in conjunction with changing the user's usergroup to banned for 24 hours, which should make his old cookie invalid. So you could change the usergroup, force the user's session to end and his cookie should no longer get him back in to anything but the banned notice.

Regards,
        Last edited by slappy; Mon 26 Jul '04, 3:12am.
        Slappy

Comment

Yes, I did read that thread and I still think it's totally pointless. Just ban that user and he can't view the forum. There is no such loophole that you have to run a query yourself to ban a user.

Comment

Perhaps you simply missed the question posed by RobFitz. His question was specific about how he could force someone off his forum who was logged in. To this I responded: "Well at the very least you could ban them for 24 hours and sort it out during that time. And you can send them to a user group which has no access priileges."

Because he asked a specific question about logging them off, I reviewed the posted threads and gave him the advise posted there. The "query" mentioned is to force the user off the connection they are currently on. The "query" has nothing to do with the banning process. You don't seem to get that simple fact. It's about ending their connection "now."

You certainly are entitled to whatever opinion you wish to hold, but it would be helpful if you would stop offering opinions in this thread about things which are offpoint and if you have no advise about the actual issue which RobFitz raised, why are you participating in the conversation at all?

Regards,
            Last edited by slappy; Mon 26 Jul '04, 3:17am.
            Slappy

Comment

Change your admin account password, then empty the tables 'cpsession' and 'session' and the user who is logged in will get prompted to login at his next click on a link.

Comment

By the way, can you guys be nice to eachother? Thank you!

/me shows his moderator powers by floating in the air like trinity did in the matrix.

Comment

It is correct that simply banning them would not end their current session and force them off whatever they are doing? Or does changing their usergroup to "banned" immediately give them a notice they are banned and prevent any further action they may have started?

Your suggestion does seem very useful to have available if trouble is spotted in time.

Regards,
                  Slappy

Comment

Changing a user to another usergroup will be instant.
                    If they view an admin page and then get banned, and they click on a link they will get permission denied.

>> What I want to be able to do is log out a user using my admin account. <<

That could mean HIS own account (someone who shouldn't use his account). Which is why I posted my suggestion.

But .. if he wants to use his admin account to change permissions of a user, he can ban them, change usergroup, update access masks .. all kinds of options.

Comment

Thanks. I think that was what he was asking. I'm glad that changing the usergroup to banned would be "instant" if I interpret your comment correctly, would that "instantly" mean in mid-sentence, or when the user tried to go somewhere else or do something other than what they were already doing, such as writing a post?

(And on a completely off topic point myself, did you get the gradient across the width worked out on the cool dark adminCP style?)

Regards,
                      Slappy

Comment

The user is in a usergroup with permission to make post replies.

He starts a new post reply.

The admin moves him into another usergroup that lacks this permission.

The user hits submit.

Permissions are checked and the vb finds out he can't post and will return an error.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X