Secure attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure attachments

I've got some large video files that I want to share with a specific group of my members.. Right now I have a thread that only that group can see and in there is a post with links to the video files.. Problem is it's just a plain link that anyone can open. Does anyone know of a way to make sure only the people in X group can get X file? I think I can make them attachments but if I do that wont it make my DB insanely huge? Dont really want that..
    Any ideas are greatly apprecaited.

Originally posted by javo

I've got some large video files that I want to share with a specific group of my members.. Right now I have a thread that only that group can see and in there is a post with links to the video files.. Problem is it's just a plain link that anyone can open. Does anyone know of a way to make sure only the people in X group can get X file? I think I can make them attachments but if I do that wont it make my DB insanely huge? Dont really want that..
    Any ideas are greatly apprecaited.

Basically, there are two primary options for you:

1. Make the file an attachment. If you have attachments stored in the file system - than this will not impact your database at all.

2. Password-protect the file on the Server level. You may need the help of whomever hosts your server in order to do this.

Either one of these will accomplish what you're looking for - and neither is difficult to implement. I hope this helps!
    echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

Theres a hack on vb.org titled something like "hiden text password protected", I think with that you could hide your link only shows a button when pressed it askes for password to see whats under it .. I think thats what you asking for
      To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
      My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
      CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
      Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

Comment

I don't believe any hacks would be necessary, as the link is only visible to the people who are entitled to view it.

Unless the other users are somehow able to guess the link path, I'd suggest it's relatively safe.
        Lats...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X