Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminating Search Words?

Hi Folks... simple questions (i think),

I have my min search characters set to 3 so it will include words like "oil" into the search DB. However, is there anyway I can find a list of words to be eliminated, so I can eliminate words like "the" "and" "hey" "but" from the search table? There is no reason to index those words... at least I don't think?

Any ideas?
    Kevlar
    Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

you can do it the opposite way around.
    limit your search to 4 characters and specifically include words like oil.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Hmm... that's alot of 3 letter words to add.
      Kevlar

Comment

Many of the common words are already excluded. Look in searchwords.php for the list.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ok, so if I had new words to that list... it will prevent them from being indexed on future posts. How do I remove the words from the current searching index to speed up the search feature? Do I just delete the words in question from one or two tables?
          Kevlar

Comment

I'd imagine you could probably just delete the word from the word table, but I don't know if it is tied into anything else?
            Kevlar

Comment

If you are sure those words have been indexed, then you will need to rebuild the search index to remove them.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Do I have to clear the search index and then reindex or with the reindexing function automatically take out the words I added to searchwords.php?
                Kevlar

Comment

Yes, I would clear the search index before reindexing.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I was afraid you were going to say that ... reindexing takes about 4 days for my site (lots of posts). Guess I'll just have to leave those words in there until the next large server maintanence issue.
                    Kevlar

Comment