No announcement yet.

Ramifications of exporting attachments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramifications of exporting attachments?

I'd like to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of removing all attachments from the database to external files. What are the "prep" steps that I need to perform first? How long might it take? (I have an ENORMOUS board, with almost a million posts. The attachment table is gigantic.)

Thanks!

I can only think of advantages:
    1. Smaller database
    2. Less load on the database
    3. Can backup attachments separately

One disadvantage might be that to backup your forums you need to backup both the attachments directory and your database. That might be considered less convenient than having to backup just your database.

I have no idea how long it will take, but there is no harm is starting the process and then backing out. The conversion isn't finalized until you have had a chance to see if the conversion was successful.

Comment

Do I have to create a directory somewhere? Also, I have dual webservers, that must be manually sync'd. What might the potential pitfalls be in terms of the actual export script?

Thanks!

Comment

For your webserver setup, i could see alot of problems with keeping the attachments in the file system, you wouyld have to sync the files every time someone attaches a new file.

Comment

We have Rsync enabled for hourly updates. However, I suppose we could set up an "every 5 minutes" for the attachments directory. We really had no choice as to whether or not to go clustered. We get 25-30 million hits a month.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X