@ Kier or another vBulletin Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Kier or another vBulletin Developer

Hi, in This post I see that in postbit_attachmentthumbnail you have removed the target="_blank" attributes.

Is there a technical reason or what?
    In my opinion open a Thumbnail in a new window in better than open it in the same window

If i insert the target="_blank" in my template is there the possibility to compromise the funtionally of my Vb or can I make this modification without problem?

Tnx in advance for the clarification

Regards

You want to ask Freddie

And I also want to know, I want attachments you click on to open in another window, and I want homepages from the dropdown to open in another window too. It is horrible losing the browsability of a thread each time you click on something.

The only reason I can understand is complaints of popup blockers not allowing those windows to open, but .. can we then also expect the buddy list and other popup windows to disappear in the future?

Comment

I would also be interested in this. But in addition to the why/why not, I'd also like to know what I need to insert where.
      echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....3049&status=20

Comment

Well, in that Bug Report, Freddie said:

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham

I think what I will do is an another option to the attacment file types that allows you to specify whether or not the attachment is to open a new window when clicked. This way you can still have images, .pdf, etc open in a new window and others things that are going to prompt for download not.
          That being the case, where is this option?
          echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

I didn't add one. If you want the attachments to open in new windows, edit the postbit templates that were listed in the 3.0.3 template changelog and add the target="_blank" references back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham

I didn't add one. If you want the attachments to open in new windows, edit the postbit templates that were listed in the 3.0.3 template changelog and add the target="_blank" references back in.
              If I may ask, where in the templates does "target="_blank"" need to be entered?
              echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

If you use thumbnails, it's this one.
                postbit_attachmentthumbnail

Otherwise,
                postbit_attachment

I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Wheatley

If you use thumbnails, it's this one.
                  postbit_attachmentthumbnail

Otherwise,
                  postbit_attachment

I think...

The question is where in the templates does that addition go?
                  echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

change: a href="url" to a href="url" target="_blank"

Comment

Originally posted by Carter876
                      you have removed the target="_blank" attributes.

Is there a technical reason or what?
                      target has been depreciated - the standards say it was removed because users should choose for themselves whether they want to open new windows or not and websites shouldn't override/force this decision.

I'm still undecided about that, the average person is too dumb to know how to open a new window and/or in some circumstances (say adding an attachment to a post) it would be a disaster for the new window to wipe out the corrent one.

For now I've still used target but only in absolutely critical circumstances - all the other places I'd prefer to be using it I haven't.

Comment

I like your layout on the forum

I'd like to see target added back in for thumbnails definately.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

ok tnx all for the clarification

Regards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X