Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is 'rebuild similar threads' likely to take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long is 'rebuild similar threads' likely to take?

I have 37,183 threads and 376,206 posts, and I've just upgraded to vB 3 from vB 2. How long is rebuilding similar threads likely to take? I have 512MB RAM and ~2GHz processor (dedicated box). Rebuilding the search index took some 6-8 hours.

I just need to give to my users an estimate of how long the forum will be down for.

It's difficult to say. However there is no reason to keep the forums closed while rebuilding these.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I would imagine it would take 4~ hours maybe, as it only needs to do this to the first thread, i am of course not basing this on any facts as i have never done this option.

You should think about some more ram though

Comment

I just timed my forums. It took 9 minutes to go through my 9000 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          It's difficult to say. However there is no reason to keep the forums closed while rebuilding these.
          Wouldn't it take longer with the forum open? Or wouldn't there be much difference?

Comment

I think it would depend on how active your forums are.

Comment

It took about 2 min and 50 seconds to rebuild all similar threads with the forum open, and fulltext searching.(21k threads) That's the fastest I've ever done it... fulltext rocks.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

I opened the forum again 3 hours later (after my first post in this thread), while the rebuild was still going on, and soon there were around 15 users on the forum. Anyway, I woke up in the morning to find out that, 15 hours later, the rebuild was still going on and only about 30% of the threads had been done.

So I stopped it, so now only newly posted threads and really old threads have a "similar threads" list at the end.

I hope this (i.e. stopping the rebuild in the middle) is ok? It won't mess up the DB or anything will it?

Comment

Originally posted by ummahforums
                  I hope this (i.e. stopping the rebuild in the middle) is ok? It won't mess up the DB or anything will it?
                  You should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                    You should be fine.
                    Super

BTW, 9 minutes for 9000 threads is pretty damn fast... what's your server's spec if I may ask?

Comment

I'm on one of these - https://www.servermatrix.com/solutio...28_server.html

Comment

How do I restart rebuild of similar threads from a specific threadid?

TIA.

Comment

There is no option to do this. Sorry.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                          X