Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get viewable thread titles but can't read posts...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jewel24
    replied
    Thank you..

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    All user groups are denied all permissions except the one to view forum and the one to view threads... (of course, they won't be able to view the threads because of this added code, but it's important to deny all other access except 'view threads' and 'view forum' otherwise they might pull it up via the search feature or some other permission.

But then Admin and Mod user groups are given normal default permissions as usual in that forum.

Leave a comment:

• jewel24
    replied
    Wait!
    How do you give the admins & mods access after you imply this code? I' follow the steps carefully and everything is working fine except my mods & admins can't gain access.

Anybody?

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Thank you, Jake, for taking the time to help me on this! Worked out great! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    That looks correct.

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Think I figured it out... so this is what I need, right:

Code:
    <if condition="is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 12) OR is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 5) OR is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 6) OR is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 7) OR $forumid != 43">

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Originally posted by zaon
    2) The popup tool tips still shows partial thread post text as usual... This isn't too serious, and I could shorten it down some characters too for more of a tease... but if there's an EASY way to hold this in also just this forum then I'm game.. if not.. don't worry about it at all :-)
    Yeah, I just shortened the preview text to 100 characters.. just enough to get a feel for the thread without giving anything away reall..so no worries on this one...

But, on the first item in the above post, I'd like to do that in the code there without having to add that group as a secondary group to admins/mods due to a few reasons... That gonna be easy to work in a few "OR" statements or whatever in what X can equal?

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    k, got it working except two issues:

1) It's also refusing to show post content to Admins and Mods who normally don't need to be members of that additional group to have access... How would we revise this code line to include also the user IDs of Admins and Mods groups:
    Code:
    <if condition="is_member_of($bbuserinfo, X) OR $forumid != Y">

2) The popup tool tips still shows partial thread post text as usual... This isn't too serious, and I could shorten it down some characters too for more of a tease... but if there's an EASY way to hold this in also just this forum then I'm game.. if not.. don't worry about it at all :-)

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Thanks again! Try'n this now... will report back in a bit with results :-)

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    And this won't override the lack of permission set by the usergroups to see private forums their group can't normally see at all, right? (even if they follow a direct thread link?)
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Cool. It was the 'OR' statement that was confusing me.. but i'm not exactly a programmer though I try to act like I understand hehehe... but I've got enough now to try this.. thanks!

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
    If we are not in forum Y then everyone can see the posts regardless.
    And this won't override the lack of permission set by the usergroups to see private forums their group can't normally see at all, right? (even if they follow a direct thread link?)

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Yeah, basically the code says if we are in forum Y then the user must be a member of group X for the posts to show. If we are not in forum Y then everyone can see the posts regardless.

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Ok... cool..

Now, does that mean that the entire if/if and else conditionals only come into play if we're in the forum with ID of Y? So if Y doesn't = that specific tease forum, then the conditionals are ignored for all other forums on the boards?

(just mak'n sure before I implement this code!! hehehe)

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    That's awesome... So, now just to clarify: That'd allow anyone with permission to view the forum the ability to view all the thread titles but if they actually clicked a thread name to read the thread posts they'd get that else warning instead?
    Yeah. Basically you grant all viewing privs to everyone for the forum, but the template conditional will stop users from viewing posts within threads unless they are a member of that group.

Also, if X is an additional user group, and 'Showthread' is a universal template, does that mean the whole bulletin board would work that way? If so, would I create a second style based off the first and then in the forum manager set that one forum to force to second special style?
    Good point. I forgot about that detail.

Yeah, either create a new style for the forum or use one style and add this to the condition:

Code:
    <!-- end content table -->
    $spacer_close
    <!-- / end content table -->

[color=red]<if condition="is_member_of($bbuserinfo, X) OR $forumid != Y">[/color]

<if condition="$show['threadedmode'] OR $show['hybridmode']">
    <!-- thread posts list -->
    $threadlist
    <!-- /thread posts list -->
    </if>

<div id="posts">$postbits</div>

[color=red]</if>[/color]

<!-- start content table -->
    $spacer_open
    <!-- / start content table -->
    Where Y is the forumid of the restricted forum. That should work.

Leave a comment:

• zaon
    replied
    Wow, thanks Jake!

That's awesome... So, now just to clarify: That'd allow anyone with permission to view the forum the ability to view all the thread titles but if they actually clicked a thread name to read the thread posts they'd get that else warning instead?

Also, if X is an additional user group, and 'Showthread' is a universal template, does that mean the whole bulletin board would work that way? If so, would I create a second style based off the first and then in the forum manager set that one forum to force to second special style?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X