Using PuTTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using PuTTY

I have gotten access to SSH and now I dont know what to do where it says in the tutorial to enter: mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < /path/to/backupname.sql

You enter this on the server command line once you have logged into your server with PuTTY.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I have logged into PuTTY and gotten to the command line. Now do I enter this Verbatim? or do I have to replace those with something else? If I have to replace those values, can you please clarify for me

Comment

/path/to/your/backupname.sql: No such file or directory

Is the error that I am getting, copied Right from PuTTY

Comment

You need to use your own database info and path.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            You need to use your own database info and path.
            I know the database info but where do I get the path from?

Comment

That depends on where the backup files is in relation to where you are on the server. If the backup file is in the same directory you are in, then you don't need a path:

mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < backupname.sql

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Can someone please tell me how to do this step by step, or point me to directions or something. All this stuff might as well be written in spanish. It seems that all the directions for everything on here are written for people who dont need them.

Comment

Do you know where the backup resides?

Did you upload it your main directory?

type dir to see what is contained in the folder you viewing.

You might need to type "cd public_html" to get in to your web directory and try dir again to see if your sql file exists. If so then you can use mysql -udatabaseusername -pdatabasepassword databasename < filename.sql

Doing a database restore requires some knowledge of the way shell works, if your unable to do this then your host should be able to help.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I have no idea where the backup is.

I am able to download a backup to my PC, but I dont know how to do it anywhere else.

Did you upload it your main directory?

I guess I may have to just get ahold of my host.... I wish I could do this stuff on my own, but its not very user friendly

Comment

Originally posted by VirginiaCustoms
                      Can someone please tell me how to do this step by step, or point me to directions or something. All this stuff might as well be written in spanish. It seems that all the directions for everything on here are written for people who dont need them.
                      Do you want a spanish explanation?

Estas usando Putty, verdad? como dice Scott, para usarlo tienes que tener cierto conocimiento acerca de shell.

Cuando hiciestes la copia de la base de datos (backup) a donde la pusistes, en temp? descargastes y borrastes el archivo .sql de tu servidor?

Entonces subelo de nuevo, si lo subes al directorio raĆ­z, entonces el camino o path:
                      mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < /public_html/backup.sql

Pero tu puedes estar en la misma carpeta que el archivo, en ese caso no necesitas de un camino y solo escribe:
                      mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < backup.sql

Espero que esto sea de tu ayuda.

See Ya
                      | vBulletin Hispano |

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X