Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just updates to 3.0.1 on Friday. Prior to that the forum users were reading the new posts and working their way though that list by the unread posts being 'bold'.

Since I put the patch in, all the posts remain 'bold'. It was that once they read the post, they could distinguish those from the unread ones.

The New Posts works fine in that it shows the posts since the last marked the forums read but when they read though that list it used to 'unbold' the topic so they knew they had just read that one.

Did something possibly not patch correctly? Anything I can look at?

http://agbgaming.com/forums

Thanks,

Chris

I registered on your forum and tested it out. Everything is working for me.

Keep in mine that in order for a thread to be marked as read you need to view the page within the thread that contains new posts. If the new posts start on page 2 and you only view page 1 then the thread will remain unread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      I registered on your forum and tested it out. Everything is working for me.

Keep in mine that in order for a thread to be marked as read you need to view the page within the thread that contains new posts. If the new posts start on page 2 and you only view page 1 then the thread will remain unread.
      I just saw you post as I was testing it.

Found that in MOST forums its working. We have an admin area where it's still doing it.

I made your account a 'game server admin' so you can try it there. That's one of the areas doing it. You'll see a thread in there about this very issue.

Comment

It still appears to be working fine.

Can you post instructions for reproducing the problem?

Comment

It still appears to be working fine.

Can you post instructions for reproducing the problem?
          AHA!

Ok. I was set (and I think others are too, I will ask) to view linear, Newest posts at the top.

I Just changed it to go Linear, oldest at top.

I went back to the threads that I couldn't reset and NOW they are resetting.

Does that make any sense? That did fix it...

Comment

Originally posted by ccole
            Does that make any sense?
            I don't see why that would matter, but if it's fixed... great.

Comment

AHA!

Ok. I was set (and I think others are too, I will ask) to view linear, Newest posts at the top.

I Just changed it to go Linear, oldest at top.

I went back to the threads that I couldn't reset and NOW they are resetting.

Does that make any sense? That did fix it...
              Had one of our other admins do the same. He was ALSO viewing them Newest first. He switched to Oldest first and now he's fine too. I'll post a message on there for everyone else to try that...

Comment

I don't see why that would matter, but if it's fixed... great.
                Any idea why this would be doing that? I'm sure those who like Newest first are going to want to go back to that! They are all SOOO demanding!

Comment

This happens to me on these forums when my browser cache fills up. If this is a concern, try emptying your browser cache.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    This happens to me on these forums when my browser cache fills up. If this is a concern, try emptying your browser cache.
                    Well, here's where we are at. I did try to clear the cache. No change.

View in Linear- Oldest first, it's fine. The thread marks itself as read.

View in Linear- Newest first, it does not reset the marker if there is more than one post in a thread.

Recreation-

I created a new thread. Viewed it. Clicked new posts, it appeared as read. I close my browser then come back- The post is 'unread'. I read it again and look at new posts. It shows up as read. So ONE post in a thread is ok.

Then I reply. From then on (now have 2+ posts), viewing the threads in Linear- Newest first does not reset the marker.

Do the WHOLE thing over again in Linear- Oldest first makes it work as expected.

I have now had 6+ people on the forums who had that same issue all resolve it by changing it to Linear- Oldest first.

This JUST started when we went to 3.0.1. This was fine in 3.0.0

Comment

Well, here's where we are at. I did try to clear the cache. No change.

View in Linear- Oldest first, it's fine. The thread marks itself as read.

View in Linear- Newest first, it does not reset the marker if there is more than one post in a thread.

Recreation-

I created a new thread. Viewed it. Clicked new posts, it appeared as read. I close my browser then come back- The post is 'unread'. I read it again and look at new posts. It shows up as read. So ONE post in a thread is ok.

Then I reply. From then on (now have 2+ posts), viewing the threads in Linear- Newest first does not reset the marker.

Do the WHOLE thing over again in Linear- Oldest first makes it work as expected.

I have now had 6+ people on the forums who had that same issue all resolve it by changing it to Linear- Oldest first.

This JUST started when we went to 3.0.1. This was fine in 3.0.0
                      So is there anything I can do to fix it for those who liked the Newest posts first can go back to that option?

Comment

I'm eperiencing the same problems after updating to 3.02 and 3.03. Empty the cache or the mentioned tricks didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB
                          I'm eperiencing the same problems after updating to 3.02 and 3.03. Empty the cache or the mentioned tricks didn't help.
                          It is still broken for us. All of our members has to change over to Linear- Oldest first.

Comment

Something was changed in 3.0.0 that is probably the cause of this. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Comment

We have several users suffering from this exact problem on our board too, and also others suffering from another seemingly similiar/related problem with the "read/unread thread marking" functionality. These problems seemingly all started when we upgraded from 3.0.0 gamma to 3.0.3, which would be coherent with the other reports above in this thread too.

Thanks for acknowledging this problem Freddie, contrary to the other vBulletin support guys above who just brush it off as some browser cache problem or similar. This is a real bug, and it's implications can be quite serious, which is also explained in our second report of the other related bug that I'm talking about (which is even more serious, but still related, you should really take a look at it in this context too), which you can find here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs....iew&bugid=3197

My guess is that all this "switching between newest/oldest threads first" stuff is only some coincident based on the nature of this bug, and it is apparently not a real solution in any case. Also, please do note that the reports above are contradictory as to which of these two modes are working/failing, some say that the "newest first" is working and the other failing, and some say that the "oldest first" is working and the other one failing.

Anyway, I must say though that I was very impressed when I first saw this new marking system for read/unread threads in the 3.0.0 gamma version, both the added dimension of the bold font for unread new posts, and the fact that you had started using time limited persistent cookies for the session handling instead of volatile cookies, which was a problem for me before if my browser happended to crash before I had gone through all the threads in the "New posts" listing (in which case this list was lost as I restarted the browser when using volatile cookies, but are retained as it is now with the time limited persistent cookies). Keep up the good works and the creative new features! (I really like the "Similar threads" feature too)
                              Slappy

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X