Style Import Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style Import Problem

I recently upgraded to vB 3.0.1 and I am having no end of trouble trying to get a style to import. Here are the steps I go through:

Login to ACP
    Go to "Dowload/Upload Styles"
    Choose "Import XML" option
    Browse to File on my computer
    Choose "Create New Style"
    Give Title for Uploaded Style
    Select Parent: vBulletin 3 Default
    Click Import.

Then it goes through the list of styles, updating and so on, the style I just opted to create and import isn't there, and when I click Done, it takes me back to the list but it's not there. When I try the other way around of creating a new style based on vB3 default, then importing the XML straight into that, the process looks like it's working but no changes are made to the vB3 default.

I've attached a zip of the xml file, hope someone can help. The only odd thing I can think that might be causing problems is that the chap who made the style made it straight by installing vB and then editing the default, rather than a copy or child of the default.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by The Keeper
    The only odd thing I can think that might be causing problems is that the chap who made the style made it straight by installing vB and then editing the default, rather than a copy or child of the default.
    That's almost certainly the problem. It is uploading, but it's replacing the master template set. This can cause you a lot of problems. Tell him to make it a download frrom a child set.

To fix your master style, reupload the original vbulletin-style.xml file from the zip file to your install directory. Make sure you upload this in ASCII and overwrite the one on the server. Then import this file in the 'Upload' section of the Style Manager.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That's almost certainly the problem. It is uploading, but it's replacing the master template set. This can cause you a lot of problems. Tell him to make it a download frrom a child set.

To fix your master style, reupload the original vbulletin-style.xml file from the zip file to your install directory. Make sure you upload this in ASCII and overwrite the one on the server. Then import this file in the 'Upload' section of the Style Manager.
      I'm totally confused. Let's say he has site A and I have site B. Tell me what to do at each site to let the main Site A template work at Site B. Please.

EDIT: Oh wait, my master is fine. THe problem I have is that his XML file, no matter what I do I can't get the changes in it to integrate into any style on my site be it new or an import into an existing file.

Comment

I suggest you contact the author of that XML file. I still believe it is overwriting your master templates.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi, the XML file I'm trying to import was exported directly from vB 3.0.1, and taken straight from there to the import section on my site. The problem doesn't appear to be that it's overwriting anything, the problem is that it either simply won't import at all, or if I create a new style and try to merge the XML file, the new style just looks exactly like the vB default I see here at vbulletin.com - can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? All I'd like to do is to import his XML to a new style which looks like the one he has going.

Comment

As I said I belive this XML file is at fault. Not much more I can offer.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Sorry to keep going on, but... as I see it vBulletin is outputting an XML file that it later can't accept. Would you agree with me on that? If so, what might cause it? Is it potentially a bug?

Comment

No, I don't agree with that at all. I have created XML style files with vB3 and these all uploaded with no problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm not trying to be problematic, I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities to track down the problem. Would server configuration perhaps play a part, cause problems with PHP creating XML files?

Comment

Can you upload this XML file here?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

The file is in a zip, attached to the first post in this thread.

Comment

Imported just fine for me.

However I did have to tell it to Ignore Style Version since I am using vB 3.0.1 and the style was created in vB 3.0.0.

Comment

And if it imported fine, how did you do it? I mean, does it look as it should? Or does it look like the default vB3 thing? If you did get it to work and it looks as it should could you please detail exactly the steps you went through? Did you merge it with an existing style, or create a new one? Did you select a parent style, or not? If so, which? Etc etc. I need to know exactly how you did it because I get the feeling this is one of those times where I'm doing just one thing wrong somewhere along the way and it's enough to stop it working properly. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Here is a screenshot of what I got.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a screenshot of the settings I used to import it. I also want to apologize I was importing it on a v3.0.0 test forum so that is why I had to ignore style version. As long as you are running v3.0.1 you should be fine.
                              Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X