Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to make Favicon icon to show up in favorites ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPnyc
    replied
    no matter what I do I can't get it to show up in IE. In fact, even the default favicon wasn't appearing in IE. I have loaded in both the root folder and the forums folder, where the default vBulletin favicon was. No dice. Firefox and Opera find it no problem. I tried linking, tried deleting and re-uploading, tried clearing the cache. IE just will not display it

Leave a comment:

• musclenexus
    replied
    Ah ha. I got it. I deleted every instance of favicon.ico from my server. Closed and reopened IE expecting to see the IE logo as a favicon. To my surprise it was my first favicon.ico and not the vbulletin one or the IE logo. I guess it looks in cache to find the last good one used before IE. Then I uploaded my favicon.ico back on the server and it's holding fine now. Really weird though.

Leave a comment:

• Webmist
    replied
    I use the following in my headerinclude template and have had favorable results.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="$stylevar[imgdir_misc]/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    <link rel="icon" href="$stylevar[imgdir_misc]/favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">

IE seems to recognize the default one and forget about changing if the style changes. I have a default in the root directory and then one for each style.

To combat IE's problem with this I've added the above to my "default" style I modify for plugins as well as the "master style" I leave alone.

Leave a comment:

• musclenexus
    replied
    Sigh, was showing up fine for me until I upgraded my site. Now IE won't show it at all Cleared cache and all.

Leave a comment:

• Neocorteqz
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
    Its random. IE will sometimes show your favicon sometimes it wont and when its feeling extra special it wont show it at all.
    Caching issue?

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Its random. IE will sometimes show your favicon sometimes it wont and when its feeling extra special it wont show it at all.

Leave a comment:

• r007
    replied
    How to edit the template

Hello Oleks -
    1. Go to the Admin CP
    2. Go to the category 'Styles & Templates'
    3. Go to the sub-category 'Style Manager'
    4. Press the "<< >>" button on the style you want to edit
    5. Click 'Customize' next to 'headinclude' (Or click 'Edit' if the template has been modified before)
    6. Go to the bottom and add the code
    7. Press 'Save'

Hope you can find it,
    -Robert

Leave a comment:

• Oleks
    replied
    Originally posted by r007
    Hello Oleks -

To get a favorite icon, just add this to your headinclude template. (On the last line)

Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.YOURSITE.com/path/favicon.ico" />
    I have not had a lot of luck with that in Internet Explorer, but it works perfectly in Firefox!

I am not sure if there is a good solution for Internet Explorer. I have not seen a lot of sites that actually show a favorite icon in Internet Explorer.

Hope this works,
    -Robert

O.K.
    I am trying to find headinclude template. Where is that “buddy”? Could you possibly direct me like AdminCP > Styles & Templates > … .

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Hehe yeah IE is very picky about its favorites icons

Leave a comment:

• mholtum
    replied
    Originally posted by MegaHertz
    Well it appears that the solution is to place your favicon.ico in your websites root directory. After doing that IE, Firefox and Opera all picked it up immediately, no extra code required.
    I have my favicon in my root. EVERY browser EXCEPT IE pick it up... IE SUX

Leave a comment:

• Kwak
    replied
    Thanks. Work great.

Leave a comment:

• MegaHertz
    replied
    Well it appears that the solution is to place your favicon.ico in your websites root directory. After doing that IE, Firefox and Opera all picked it up immediately, no extra code required.

Leave a comment:

• MegaHertz
    replied
    Minor correction to r007's code. You need change herf to href or it won't work.

As a side note I would also like to know how to get it working in IE.

Leave a comment:

• r007
    replied
    The Solution

Hello Oleks -

To get a favorite icon, just add this to your headinclude template. (On the last line)

Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.YOURSITE.com/path/favicon.ico" />
    I have not had a lot of luck with that in Internet Explorer, but it works perfectly in Firefox!

I am not sure if there is a good solution for Internet Explorer. I have not seen a lot of sites that actually show a favorite icon in Internet Explorer.

Hope this works,
    -Robert
    Last edited by r007; Fri 18 Jun '04, 5:54am. Reason: Fixed a typo in the shortcut icon code

Leave a comment:

• Oleks
    started a topic how to make Favicon icon to show up in favorites ?

how to make Favicon icon to show up in favorites ?

Hi,
    I have 16x16 Favicon icon. And I need advice how to make Favicon icon to show up in favorites when Users bookmarks my Board? Any advice or suggestions will be helpful (especially step by step instruction ).

Thank you.