No announcement yet.

Forum-specific error messages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like you are editing the wrong style then.

Comment

Sorry, meant what exactly were you adding to the template.

Edit: I think Freddie might be right. I have tried doing this so many different ways and it always works. If I add it to the parent style it shows up everywhere, if I add it to only one child then it only shows up there.
      Last edited by MegaHertz; Fri 18 Jun '04, 12:37pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
        Seems like you are editing the wrong style then.
        That was my first suspicion as well, but we only allow our users to use our default template, which is based off the default vb3 template. I made the changes to STANDARD_ERROR and STANDARD_ERROR_LITE on both of those templates, though, so I would think that one of them would override the other. Either way, both templates are identical.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaHertz
          Sorry, meant what exactly were you adding to the template.
          Just what I put in my earlier posts above... and when I hardcoded in the message afterall, it was just plain text in between another set of <li> tags.

When I view source on that error page, none of that shows; no extra <li> tag, no message, not even an extra blank space... I'm with you guys in thinking I'm changing the wrong template as well, but honestly, I've made template changes many times so far, and this is the first that a change hasn't worked.

Edit: I think Freddie might be right. I have tried doing this so many different ways and it always works. If I add it to the parent style it shows up everywhere, if I add it to only one child then it only shows up there.
          I'll keep looking...

Comment

Try this:

Upload the default style and import it a new style, I have one called test that I use to test all change prior to putting them on my live board. This will also give you an absolutely clean template set to work from. If it doesn't work there then I am out of ideas, for now.

Comment

Try this:

Upload the default style and import it a new style, I have one called test that I use to test all change prior to putting them on my live board. This will also give you an absolutely clean template set to work from. If it doesn't work there then I am out of ideas, for now.
              Now we're treading unexplored waters for me, as someone else setup the templates when we installed, so I'm green at this...

I've attempted to create a new style (will be called TEST_TEMPLATE) by doing the following steps:

1. Styles & Templates > Download / Upload Styles > Import Style XML File

2. Used method "OR import the XML file from your server" and used the default value of "./install/vbulletin-style.xml"

3. Overwrite Style is set to "(Create New Style)"

4. Ignore Style Version set to "No"

5. Title for Uploaded Style is "TEST_TEMPLATE"

6. Parent Style is "No Parent Style"

When I do those steps, I get a popup stating
              "You did not specify a file to upload, so vBulletin will attempt to import the file

./install/vbulletin-style.xml

from the server's file system.

Are you sure?".

I click "OK" and it shows that it's updating templates, but after it's done, I don't see any new templates to use.. just the ones we already had.

Comment

The easiest way to do it is to upload the style from your PC.

BTW the server method has never worked for me either.

If you don't already have it you can get it by downloading it from the server, or from the .zip file you downloaded when you purchased vB.

Comment

The easiest way to do it is to upload the style from your PC.

BTW the server method has never worked for me either.

If you don't already have it you can get it by downloading it from the server, or from the .zip file you downloaded when you purchased vB.
                  Got the file from the members area, extracted "vbulletin-style.xml", used the Download/Upload Styles form again, this time choosing the PC method, and still nothing. No popup message on submittal this time, though.

I noticed that in both instances, though, I got a page stating that all my templates were being updated. I thought this was supposed to create a brand new template, and not mess with the others? Nothing seems broken on our site after doing this, but it's a little disconcerting to see that message.
                  Last edited by bannoy; Fri 18 Jun '04, 1:35pm.

Comment

You also have the option to submit a support ticket if you would like one of our support techs to take a look for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie Bingham
                      You also have the option to submit a support ticket if you would like one of our support techs to take a look for you.
                      On it... probably should have done that earlier, but I was hoping this would be a quick and easy thing.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bannoy
                        On it... probably should have done that earlier, but I was hoping this would be a quick and easy thing.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread, though.
                        Can't say we didn't try.

Comment