Transfering DB to different server???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering DB to different server???

Ok i know this has been covered on som eof the "How to's" but i've ran into a problem that i can't seem to get round and my host are not being very helpful. ANy way i've backed up my database and call this vb_dump.sql. When i telnet onto the server and put 'dir' it shows being there. I can connect to the other server straight after and even go through the 'bin' / put vb_dump.sql and then it goes into passive mode. Thats when i'm getting the problems. It stays like that for about 10 minutes and then tells me its timed out.

Is this normal and is there a way around it as its been driving me nuts.

Or is there a way to transfer to my pc and the transfer to the new server.

Any help would be appreciated on this.

You can use FTP to copy it to your local machine and then upload that to your server.

However, what utility are you trying to copy it with from server to server? ftp? scp?
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I've been using PuTTY as it was recomended on one of the how to'd

Comment

PuTTY only allows you to connect to the server via telnet or SSH. It would be best to use FTP to copy this file from one server to the other.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

is this done witht he same commands? I only ask because i'm in at the deep end wiith all this so i'm learning as i go... probably not the best practice but hey we all have to start somewhere

Comment

SSH and FTP are two entirely separate things.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              SSH and FTP are two entirely separate things.
              So how do i transfer using ftp?

I've tried using smartFTP and bulletproofFTP and i can see the file but i still get the same server time out when transfering from one to the other. If i transfer from server1 to my system and then to server2 it goes into the /home/user/account directory but i cant get it to the part were it should go.

Comment

OK problem solved... more out of stuberness than anything else.

I managed to move the database over to the new server using an FTP client.

Then i came up with another problem but out of pure persistance i managed to solve it.

In the VB Manual on restoring the DB it tell you to put

mysql –uUSERNAME –p NEWDBNAME < /PATH/TO/NEW/DUMP.SQL

what i had to do was put a space between the -uUSERNAME so it looked like -u USERNAME.

Very simple if you know what your doing. It only took me 3 hours to work it out though lol.

Anyway thanks for all the help with this.

Learning is fun

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X