ban ip address...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ban ip address...

is there a way to ban an ip address of someone who is not a part of the forum.... i've been having someone on my forum for the longest time, viewing member profiles, e-mailing threads, viewing bb codes and this and that for a LONG time.... i checked the ip address and it looked like it was coming from microsoft.... and again, this person is on as a guest and i have it set up where you have to register to view most of the threads and all this other stuff..... i know they may be using a proxy or whatever but how do i ban ip or what would you guys do in this situation?

oh yeah, and i have tried to look in the admin cp to ban ip address but i can't seem to find it....

Comment

This is almost certainly the MSN search engine robot. If you really want to ban it (which I wouldn't) go here:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Banning Options -> Ban IP Addresses

This will stop it from seeing any content on your site, but it won't stop them from trying. For that you'd need to set up a robots.txt file. Do a Google search for how to do this.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanks for the fast response.... but it's really fishy cause the member has been on for the longest time.... 2-3 days if not more.... and trying to view almost every thread, trying to e-mail threads, and viewing member profiles......

Comment

Yep, that's what the search engine bots do. It's their job.

I've had some on my site for more than a week at a time. I like it because it means my site is being indexed for the search engines.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

k, thanks for the info....

Comment

Heh, I was looking under User Options on the main admin nav bar - glad to find it answered here. Search engine spiders I like, trolls I don't - IP ban now effected.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X