Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    I think this would make a good suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Originally posted by Jake Bunce
    It works for me on my 3.0.3 test forum. With the Can View IP Addresses moderator permission set to Yes in one forum, and No in another forum, the moderator is still able to use the Search IP Addresses feature in the Mod CP.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the Search IP Addresses link in the Mod CP, not the ability to view the IP address of a post... that permission is forum-specific because it is out on the forums, not in the Mod CP. But they both use the same moderator permission.
    Thanks for revealing again! This explains alot I have to say.

I think (especially for newbie-Admins) this can be rather confusing to understand. You explained that all the permissions set under 'User Permissions' were GLOBAL permissions. I understand now that this isn't the case for 'Can View IP Addresses'. Because this permission is apparantly used for 2 different things... a global function and -at the same time- a forum-specific function.

IMHO this is rather confusing. Wouldn't it be a bit more intuïtive to split those GLOBAL permissions from the User Permission section, because in the end those 'User Permissions' are on a 'page' that is aimed at a specific forum.

And using 1 option for 2 different things makes it altogether more confusing for a simple Admin like myself...

I am curious what other people think of this? Do I have a point here, or? Maybe it's better I put this in the 'Suggestions'-forum.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    It works for me on my 3.0.3 test forum. With the Can View IP Addresses moderator permission set to Yes in one forum, and No in another forum, the moderator is still able to use the Search IP Addresses feature in the Mod CP.

Keep in mind that I am talking about the Search IP Addresses link in the Mod CP, not the ability to view the IP address of a post... that permission is forum-specific because it is out on the forums, not in the Mod CP. But they both use the same moderator permission.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    All of the moderator permissions are forum-specific except for the User Permissions section. The user permissions enable those user tools in the Mod CP.
    Hi Jake,

Thank you for explaining. Now it makes more sense to me. Maybe it's an idea to mention this somewhere in the inline help of VB3? I don't know if it's in the big VB3 manual itself, but I will check.

There's is however a thing that I do not understand. You explain that 'All of the moderator permissions are forum-specific except for the User Permissions section'. But, recently I had to change the 'Can View IP Addresses'-permission for ALL Moderators and I had to do it for each specific forum they were moderating. So I had to go to the User Permissions inside the Moderator Manager and change this permission for every forum they were in.

Maybe I am overlooking something, but as a follow your explanation above, I would assume that if I set 'Can View IP Addresses' to YES for a particular Moderator in a specific Forum, this option would be set to YES automatically for each and every other forum he/she is a Mod of.

But this did not happen. What do I not understand concerning this procedure?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by Grover
    So you go this specific forum (Test Forum) and set the banning option from here, but it actually applies to the whole forum. So how do you set specific permissions for a specific Moderator, regardless of the forum he/she is in, in VB3?
    All of the moderator permissions are forum-specific except for the User Permissions section. The user permissions enable those user tools in the Mod CP.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Originally posted by Grover
    I don't if I understand it correctly, but since this banning permission is a global one, shouldn't it be in the Usergroup Manager, that makes more sense?
    Having a monoloque here... Is the Usergroup Manager indeed a better place? I guess not, because you want to have the ability to set this banning permission for each and every Moderator individually.

What I as an admin find confusing is that you have to go to the Moderator Manager and see this:

Edit Moderator Sybil Fawlty for Forum Test Forum

So you go this specific forum (Test Forum) and set the banning option from here, but it actually applies to the whole forum. So how do you set specific permissions for a specific Moderator, regardless of the forum he/she is in, in VB3?

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Moderator banning permission is a global one, but you change them on a local level.

The banning permission goes for the whole forum. Moderators can ban people from the Mod CP if they have this permission.
    Aha. I am also in the process of giving my Mods banning-permissions, but I was assuming I could find these permissions inside the Usergroup Manager (where you set the global permissions). Since it applies to your whole forum, like you explained above. But apparently you have to set them inside the Moderator Manager (where you set local permissions specifically for a certain forum).

I don't if I understand it correctly, but since this banning permission is a global one, shouldn't it be in the Usergroup Manager, that makes more sense?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    The banning permission goes for the whole forum. Moderators can ban people from the Mod CP if they have this permission.

Leave a comment:

• gorman
    replied
    Super mods are given that permission by default.

Forum mods can be given that permission in your:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager

Select the moderator from the menu on the right. The permission is on that page.
    Jake, sorry to resurrect this thread but... what's the meaning of a moderator being able to ban on a single category or a single forum. The user base remains the same... either he/she can ban across the board or he/she can't. Or am I missing something?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    Originally posted by pgowder
    Where can I turn it off for super mods?
    You can't. Supermods are given every moderator permission.

If you don't want a moderator to have every moderator permission then you need to move them out of the super mod group and set them up as a regular forum moderator.

Leave a comment:

• pgowder
    replied

Select the moderator from the menu on the right. The permission is on that page.
    On that page for one of my super mods it says no to banning. But she just banned some users.

Where can I turn it off for super mods?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pgowder
    started a topic Permission to ban users

Permission to ban users

Where do you set this power for mods?