X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subscriptions and groups

how do i make subscribtion ladder?

This is what i need to accomplish:

we will be using forums for our art school it will contain public section and default user ladder is fine for that.

also we need a ladder for students that ether enrolled in our actual classes or choose to take online lessons. we plan to do it via subscriptions in the following way:

first level 3 month -> user title "school member" reverts to default user ladder
    second level 3 to 6 month -> user title "school member" reverts to "school member" without private access but retains school user rank.
    third level over 6 month to 1 year -> user title "senior school member" (additional access) on expiration becomes "associate artist"

after 1 year student becomes "associate artist" and subscription is no longer needed (permanent access to all student private forums)

school user ranks for subscribers only ("school member") will be:
    student
    apprentice
    senior apprentice
    ----- (for "associate artists" only)
    instructor level 1
    instructor level 2
    master

Any ideas?

So if the user purchases a year's worth of subscriptions then they get permanent access that is independant of the subscription system? Or do you mean after 1 year of being a member on your forums?

Comment

No, They have to be active for 6 month year as "school members" and 6 month as "senior school members" and only after the actual year runs out they become "associate artists" with full access to private forums.

they can not buy "associate artist" membership, they have to graduate to it. So as they can not buy "senior school member" membership unless they have attended our real-life classes, in wich case admin can do it manually.

I can limit subscriptions to 3 month and 6 month so they can not buy the whole year, perhaps. Ideally, of cause, a built in timer would be the best...

Comment

Basically what you need is a group promotion that is based on subscriptions.

The current system doesn't have such a feature. I don't see a way to do this under the current system without some file modifications. Of course you can always manually manage your group memberships, but that can become cumbersome when dealing with lots of users. If no one else here has an idea on how to implement this then you might try posting on www.vbulletin.org, the official vB hacking site.

Now if you just want to grant access based on subscriptions then I can help you... but these permissions would be taken away when the subscriptions expire.

Comment

I see,

What if

Set really high #of posts to promote from JM to M 0-200000

and from M to SM 200000-200300 (and from SM to AA 200300-201000)

Set M permissions to access Private Forums Level 1
          Set SM permissions to access Private Forums Level 1 & 2

add user title Associated Artist (AA) and set permissions to access Private Forums Level 1 & 2 & 3 and moderate forums Level 1 & 2

Create School User Group (SUG) for (M & SM)
          Associate Artists User Group (AAUG) for (AA)

Set realistic #of posts for user ranks for UG - registered users - (JM) - Stars
          and for SUG (school user group) - (M & SM)- lables
          and 3rd for AA (associated artists) - fancy lables

so public user gets stars, student user gets two sets - stars & labels, associate artist gets two sets - stars and fancy labels.

edit template to show only last 5 digits of post count.

Set subscription to 3 month that would give M level access
          manually increment 200000 posts after 6 month are paid.

Comment

That could work, but it would be based on post count after you manually increase the post count. Make sure you don't update user post counts or the edited post counts will be reset:

Admin CP -> Import & Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Update Post Counts

Comment

how and wich template do i edit to only show last 5 digits of the postcounts?

And will the forum stats on the front page show this crazy total, or it will show the real count?

Comment

Originally posted by ilia
                how and wich template do i edit to only show last 5 digits of the postcounts?
                To my knowledge that would require modifying the files.

Perhaps you can use a flag other than post counts. I recommend you create a new usergroup and add users to it. You can then create the promotion for that group only so only members of that group will qualify for the promotion.

And will the forum stats on the front page show this crazy total, or it will show the real count?
                The forum stats do not reflect user post counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                  To my knowledge that would require modifying the files.

Perhaps you can use a flag other than post counts. I recommend you create a new usergroup and add users to it. You can then create the promotion for that group only so only members of that group will qualify for the promotion.
                  If i understood correctly:

I create "school group" add 3 new user titles and assign them to the group and create/assign promotional ladder for those usertitles.

Then manualy add subscribers to that group

is that what you mean?

Comment

is that what you mean?
                    Yes.

Comment

Hi Jake,

I am working my way through this mase and have setup school usergroups (3)

First Level
                      Second Level
                      Advanced Level

with corresponding titles. I have also created promotions to jump from one user group to another level usergroup based on posts. And subscriptions for the First Level usergroup.

So it will work this way: user subscribes to First Level (6 month) and after X number of post it gets promoted to Second Level

Q. when subscription expires does he get reverted to regular user ladder?

a) if during subscribed period he did not reach X number of posts
                      b) if during subscribed period he did reach X number of posts and did get "jumped" to a Second Level usergroup?

Comment

I just tested this.

a) Yes, he gets reverted.

b) In this case it appears that group memberships added during a subscription remain after the subscription expires. So they are independant which I believe is what you want.

Comment

great!

This will make maint a little easier!

this means that i can add another usergroup for 3 month "trial subscription" members of which will not get promoted for posts and reverted to regular ladder at all times...
                          than "term subscribers - 6month and up" can be set to be promoted

What if i need to start subscriber from level 2 right away? can I manually grant the access in "edit user" but have it taken away if subscription expire before promotion # of posts is reached? (to clarify grant additional forum access whithout changing usergroup). i think it should work, just checking with you.

and Thank You

Comment

What if i need to start subscriber from level 2 right away? can I manually grant the access in "edit user" but have it taken away if subscription expire before promotion # of posts is reached? (to clarify grant additional forum access whithout changing usergroup). i think it should work, just checking with you.
                            The best way to handle that would be to manually add the user to subscription 2 in your:

Admin CP -> Subscriptions -> Subscription Manager -> Add User (in the menu)

Then the user will qualify for promotions for groups granted by subscription 2. If they do not qualify for a promotion before the subscription expires then they will be reverted back to their previous group memberships.

I'm not sure what you mean by "grant additional forum access whithout changing usergroup". The only way to do that is with access masks:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users

Find the user and edit their profile. Then select the Edit Forum Permissions(Access Masks) option for the user. But I don't think access masks would be good for what you want to do, unless I am misunderstanding.

Comment

Admin CP -> Subscriptions -> Subscription Manager -> Add User (in the menu)

Then the user will qualify for promotions for groups granted by subscription 2. If they do not qualify for a promotion before the subscription expires then they will be reverted back to their previous group memberships.
                              this is what i mean - user subscribes to Level 1 (regular 6 month term) then I go to "edit use" and add access to forums for level 2. If he does not post min# of posts he gets reverted back to regular ladder. if he does then he remains in level 2 since he will be in a different group

Your suggestion might not quite work since if I move him/her to level 2 than subscription expiration will have no effect since all users subscribe to level 1

i have to give it some more thought, i think i am making loops and confusing you...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X