vB - Databae Fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB - Databae Fix?

Ok I have vB 3.0.0 installed and I've had some problems with it going down from time to time due to database problems. (I have vBadvanced Homepage and v3arcade installed also.)

What happens is once the problem started the homepage is the first not to respond. Also at that time the forums are somewhat working but when you click to view a post you get, "this page cannot be displayed." While the arcade is uneffected at this time.. Then a little while later everything goes down and you get "This page cannot be displayed."

I get NO errors reported when this happens. I just put in a ticket to my hosting company and a coule days later they get it back up and running.. This has happened to me 4 times now and I finally asked them what I needed to do to avoid having this happen again.

This is their response. (So how to I make the changes to comply so that I can avoid having my board go down again)

Thank you for contacting iPowerweb technical support. By default, vBulletin is setup to use persistent SQL connections to the database. Essentially, what this means is that at the end of the SQL transaction, the script doesn't close a connection to the database. Eventually, this fills up the amount of SQL transactions you're allotted, and you receive the error you described. What you need to do is to use non-persistent connections, which close the database connection when the script terminates. Once this is done, you will no longer receive the error you described.

MySQL Version - 4.0.18-standard

/includes/config.php

Comment

So just make the change there and it will take affect? Or do I have to do anything special to get it to change.. (Prolly a stupid question?)

Comment

Just edit this section of config.php:

PHP Code:
        // ****** PERSISTENT CONNECTIONS ******
        // This option allows you to turn persistent connections to MySQL on or off.
        // The difference in performance is negligible for all but the largest boards.
        // If you are unsure what this should be, leave it off.
        // 0 = Off; 1 = On
        $usepconnect 0
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hum.. Thanks for the help guys, but I checked the config.cfg file and it is set to 0 (off) So I guess I get to look forward to having my board go down again... Yay...

Comment

fixed
            alastair
            Last edited by alastair; Wed 14 May '08, 10:16am.

Comment

No, that's a different problem. It means that either the db settings in your config.php are wrong, or there is a problem with the server.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well mine is going down again... http://www.team-undercover.com

then click on http://www.team-undercvoer.com/forums The forums should still show but go click on a post... You'll get the "this page can't be displayed" But soon it will all be down...

Comment

I get a cannot find server error, looks like apache is down, or the server is rebooting

Comment

srry... http://www.team-undercover.com/forums

http://www.team-undercover.com <---- vBadvanced

Comment

Could someone answer me this... How long should it take my host to fix my forums. Refurring to their reply back stating that I've filled up the amount of SQL transactions I'm allotted

Comment

Originally posted by BioVader
                        Could someone answer me this... How long should it take my host to fix my forums. Refurring to their reply back stating that I've filled up the amount of SQL transactions I'm allotted
                        A good host won't make such arbitrary limits such as query limits but would instead rely on CPU and bandwidth usage. As to how long they will take to get your forum up, going on your previous statements, I would say 1-2 days.

When I visit your site right now, I get nothing. No text, no errors, nothing but a blank page with no HTML whatsoever. This is a hosting issue. vBulletin does not use persistent connections by default and hasn't for over a year.

My suggestion is to make a backup of your database once your site is available again and start looking for a host that understands how to maintain servers running database applications.
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

OK well this is the response I got back from them... Not really sure how to back up the database without the forums running... I tryed backing it up once before using mysql and couldn't upload the backed up db to upload to Mysql...

Response (Anthony L.) - 05/26/2004 07:35 AM
                          Dear Dennis,

Your database vB3 has a corrupted table called vb3_thread.MYI
                          Please go to phpMyAdmin in your control panel and repair your
                          table.

Please make sure you backup your database before you perform
                          any table repair.

************************************** MyISAM Results ************************************

Checking MyISAM file: vb3_thread.MYI
                          Data records: 159 Deleted blocks: 0
                          myisamchk: warning: 1 clients is using or hasn't closed the table properly
                          - check file-size
                          - check record delete-chain
                          - check key delete-chain
                          - check index reference
                          - check data record references index: 1
                          - check data record references index: 2
                          - check data record references index: 3
                          - check data record references index: 4
                          - check data record references index: 5
                          - check record links
                          MyISAM-table 'vb3_thread.MYI' is usable but should be fixed

************************************** MyISAM Results ************************************

Comment

vBulletin comes with do_not_upload/tools.php

upload that file and run the optimize & repair on your database.

Comment

run this phpmyadmin

REPAIR TABLE vb3_thread;

you may need to run this multiple times to fix your thread errors

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X