No announcement yet.

"We could not activate your account because this web address is not valid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ya I already edited the activation email phrase. I havent recieved any complain yet

I just wonder why vB invalidates activation code if the link is broken. Is there a security issue or something else we are not aware of? I find this function quite unnecessary unless if someone here can explain the real reason why this was implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurous
      ya I already edited the activation email phrase. I havent recieved any complain yet

I just wonder why vB invalidates activation code if the link is broken. Is there a security issue or something else we are not aware of? I find this function quite unnecessary unless if someone here can explain the real reason why this was implemented.
      Seems an old topic, but my forum has suffered from this a lot. Many email client, such hotmail break the link, and my user clicked the broken link without even knowing that they instantly invalidated their activation code. Then they keep trying again and again, without success, until they gave up or come to the board to email me.

This is not just an unnecessary feature, but an annoying bug! Does anybody have any fix for it?

Thanks.

Comment

Ya I dont know why but I am still having the same problem. Its nothing to do with any broken link here. Its a flaw in the system, which I guess the vB coders have not been able to reproduce!

Is there a way I can send users a predefined activation code? So it doesnt reset itself and I dont have to manually change permissions for users? Its annoying as hell.

Aurous

Comment

You can send them this link to get the activation email again:

http://www.yoursite.com/forum/regist...o=requestemail

Substituting your domain of course.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The problem is not about getting the activation email! They get the email, infact a few users have fwded their emails to me, and to my surprise the activation code was not accepted! What could be the reason? Why does the activation code reset whenever someone requests a new activation code? I dont want the code to reset itself and if theres something I need to change in the code to fix this problem, then do let me know. This will also help other users of this forum as well.

Comment

Don't use the email activation? You can turn it off VIA admincp

Comment

Originally posted by Barrikin
                Don't use the email activation? You can turn it off VIA admincp
                I want to use the email activation, its just that it doesnt work properly for a few users and its me at the end who get the emails for not being able to activate their account!

Comment

When I had it on i notice a few users who never veriftied their account. Not sure why, so I turned it off, and kept the welcome email on. If I get a postmaster bounce becuase the email the welcome message was send to I just delete the account.

Easy as that.

Comment

I wouldnt have the time to check bounced emails everyday and delete accounts!

Comment

So I am guessing there is no alternative email activation code that we can use on vB?? If yes, then that sucks! Maybe vB coders should redesign their system. Look at other boards and see how they've developed their email activation system. I never had this problem with phpbb and ipb.

Comment

What 'alternative code' are you looking for? I don't understand. The email activation works fine for these forums and for my own personal forums.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

More problems with Activation

I am getting more users with the complaint that they are not receiving the activation email or that it doesn't work. Yet, when I test register I have no problems. I discovered 400 users with the status of "Awaiting Confirmation" - most were so old I deleted them. At the same time I've had several thousand successful activations. I've asked users about SPAM filters and they claim there aren't any in play. Most are AOL users, and many Yahoo users as well. One informed me about a back door that they can use to get around this limitation. They simply request a lost password and bingo they are in without activation. Email is still confirmed but ironic that users are able to get in this way when they are not getting the original activation email. I've gotten so many complaints on this now, that I too would be in favor of sending users an activation code to use in the event the link doesn't work for whatever reason - better yet, it would be great to have the system automatically resend email every 3 days for a period then cancel the account. I don't like spending time administrating the front door but at the same time we do need email confirmation.
                          Last edited by googull; Thu 30 Dec '04, 9:05pm.

Comment

Originally posted by googull
                            [...] One informed me about a back door that they can use to get around this limitation. They simply request a lost password and bingo they are in without activation. [...]
                            Which doesn't make it a back door. In order to get the new password in the first place they have to receive the mail. And the mail verification process is there to check if the address exists at all.
                            So it's just a different, valid way to activate your account.

However, I never had problems with this and if it were really a flaw in vB itself, there would be many more people complaining here besides you.

Comment

Just sharing my experience - I see from search that I am not alone. The password request is not a backdoor, as I indicated it still achieves intention of confirming email. Just unclear why people are having to do this instead of getting the conf email - I suspect it is probably a SPAM filter in the middle.

Comment

Add another BBS user to this problem. (Looking for a solution.)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X