Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a border?!

Hello,

Loot at http://www.alexstanford.com/geek ... See how the content of the page is in a white box with no border, and the surrounding background is green?

Well, I want to add a border to that white box. Easy right? Wrong, from what I can see.

First I tried to stick a style on the second div in the spacer_open, and that worked good, until I realized that the spacer template opens and closes three times on showthread.php. So, I removed that and realized I should be working in the header and footer. So, I make a div from header to footer and stick a style including a border, well all is well except the div is much wider than the white box, almost 100% of the window. So, I set the div's width to 760 pixels, and this works perfectly, except it causes the white box (which now has a border) to be left aligned, and I could not find a way to fix that.

So, did I miss the simple way to add a border around this, did you all forget it or am I just that bad of a programmer that I don't know how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Yuneek

This is a little displeasing.. in 10 1/2 hours I still have no response. Not very prompt.. I know you guys now how to do this.

Please get around to me.

Yuneek

Comment

It's going to involve some fairly complex CSS to achieve this as the part you want the border round is in fact made up from three separate templates. You could try asking over at vBulletinTemplates.com as I sure someone will be able to help there.

Comment

Really not that hard..., add a border-top, border-right, border-bottom and border-left to the respective elements. Et voilá.

Comment

Rather than say how it easy it is, wouldn't it have been more helpful to provide some example code for the benefit of Yuneek?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxy
            Rather than say how it easy it is, wouldn't it have been more helpful to provide some example code for the benefit of Yuneek?
            Just what I was thinking, especially since the "respectable elements" are non-existant until I make them.

But, Boxy, I've had bad experiences with vBT (No response) - Any way you think you could explain how you would go about this?

I know its not your job, but it would be appreciated.

Yuneek

Comment

Originally posted by Yuneek
              Just what I was thinking, especially since the "respectable elements" are non-existant until I make them.

But, Boxy, I've had bad experiences with vBT (No response) - Any way you think you could explain how you would go about this?

I know its not your job, but it would be appreciated.

Yuneek
              The respective elements obviously exist, since there is a white background. The white background wouldn't appear without any element having a white background.

Anyway, if I change
              <div class="page" style=" width:760px; text-align:left;">

in spacer_open to

<div class="page" style="border: 1px dotted red; width:760px; text-align:left;">

it seems to do exactly what you want *unless you actually want something different than what you explained*

Comment

Originally posted by Yuneek
                ...So, I set the div's width to 760 pixels, and this works perfectly, except it causes the white box (which now has a border) to be left aligned, and I could not find a way to fix that...
                This code should work to center your added div. Add the red code next to the div code you already added:

Header:
                Code:
                <div align="center">
                <div blah blah blah>  <-- the div you added that has the border stuff
                Footer:
                Code:
                </div>  <-- end of your div
                </div>

Comment

Originally posted by LeeCHeSSS
                  The respective elements obviously exist, since there is a white background. The white background wouldn't appear without any element having a white background.

Anyway, if I change
                  <div class="page" style=" width:760px; text-align:left;">

in spacer_open to

<div class="page" style="border: 1px dotted red; width:760px; text-align:left;">

it seems to do exactly what you want *unless you actually want something different than what you explained*
                  If you read my original post, as you obviously did not, you would know that if you add a code to spacer open like that, it will open and close three times in the showthread.php, causing there to be 3 boxes. From now on, read the problem before you reply, lol.

Anyway, as you can see, Jake knows that it sould be done in the header and footer, not spacer_open. Thank you Jake.

Yuneek

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X