X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum viewed by registered users only

can i make it so that my forums can ONLY be viewed by registered users only

Yes.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Unregistered / Not Logged In -> Edit Usergroup -> Can View Forum

Set this to No. Now only registered members will be able to view your forum. All others will see a no permission page prompting them to login or register.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Yes.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Unregistered / Not Logged In -> Edit Usergroup -> Can View Forum

Set this to No. Now only registered members will be able to view your forum. All others will see a no permission page prompting them to login or register.
      brilliant thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hIBEES
        brilliant thanks
        it works a treat

now CAN i do for each individial forum thou

I have 8 sub forums

Comment

Originally posted by hIBEES
          it works a treat

now CAN i do for each individial forum thou

I have 8 sub forums
          Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

You can set forum level permissions here.

Comment

You can set forum level permissions here.
            excellent thanks a lot

Comment

Is it possible to set a forum to be viewable from the main forum index to all visitors (so even unregistered people know it exists), but only registered members would be able to actually view the threads within the forum?

Currently, if I set unregistered users to not be able to view a forum then they can't see the forum at all and won't even know that it exists. I want them to be able to see it exists (in the main forum index along with all the other forums), but I don't want them to be able to view the individual threads within the forum itself.

I don't really want to use a forum password and I don't want the forum to magically appear after they register!

The key point is that everyone can see the forum exists, but only registered members can access it.

Thanks

Comment

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums

Set this to No. This will make it so users can see forums they don't have access to but they will not be able to enter them.

Comment

Try this:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums

Set this to No. This will make it so users can see forums they don't have access to but they will not be able to enter them.

That's great! The only thing is that this seems to have a global effect. Is it possible to have this setting applied to specific forums only so that I can still have private (and completely invisible to specific usergroups) forums e.g. a forum for site staff only?

Comment

Originally posted by webstar
                    That's great! The only thing is that this seems to have a global effect. Is it possible to have this setting applied to specific forums only so that I can still have private (and completely invisible to specific usergroups) forums e.g. a forum for site staff only?
                    Unfortunately not.

An alternative is to enable the Hide Private Forums option and use forum level permissions.

Set Can View Forum to Yes and Can View Others' Threads to No for your private forums. Now your users will be able to see your private forums but won't be able to view any threads within them.

Comment

That's very useful. Thank you, Jake, for your very quick responses!

Comment

Originally posted by webstar
                        Is it possible to set a forum to be viewable from the main forum index to all visitors (so even unregistered people know it exists), but only registered members would be able to actually view the threads within the forum?

Currently, if I set unregistered users to not be able to view a forum then they can't see the forum at all and won't even know that it exists. I want them to be able to see it exists (in the main forum index along with all the other forums), but I don't want them to be able to view the individual threads within the forum itself.

I don't really want to use a forum password and I don't want the forum to magically appear after they register!

The key point is that everyone can see the forum exists, but only registered members can access it.

Thanks
                        Actually, I have the very same question, except I want unregistered users arriving to the main index page to also be able to see how many threads in each forum are there, as well to be able to enter the forums and see the names (titles) for each thread. If they decide to click on a particular thread to view it, I want them to be prompted to login/register at that time.

In other words, I just don't want them to view the actual thread without registering first, but I want them to see that the threads exist as well to see the thread titles...

Currently, I have > Hide Forum- NO, and I have forum permissions for unregisterd users set @ "Can View Forum - YES" & "Can View Others' Threads - NO"

In this instance, unregistered users are able to see that forums exist, but they don't see that any threads are posted, because all forums show 0 threads (last post "never".) If a user clicks on any particular forum he is greeted by message stating that there aren't any messages/threads posted there (when in fact there are.) YET, if I change "Can View Others' Threads (to) - YES" then they are able to fully read the actual threads (bodies of thread text) without registering at all???

Hope I am clear. Thanks again.

Comment

You can take care of the post / thread counts by using the code I posted in this thread.

There is no permission to allow access to the thread listing but not the threads themselves. That would require modifying the files. For help with this I recommend you post on www.vbulletin.org, the official vB hacking site.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X