Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I modify how Quotes are formatted?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can I modify how Quotes are formatted?

    I have a really simple thing I'd like to do:


    When any text is Quoted - either when you reply to a post via the Quote Button, or when you use the Editor Toolbar button to Wrap Quotes - I want there to be a blank line between the tags and the text.


    By default, it does it like this:


    {QUOTE=Test User}This is the sample text{/QUOTE}




    I want it to do it like this:


    {QUOTE=Test User}

    This is the sample text

    {/QUOTE}



    Is that difficult to accomplish?
    echo $ocean_signature;

    ;)

  • #2
    try editing the bbquote template ?
    Rebel Designs Studios

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rebelsrock06
      try editing the bbquote template ?
      Do you mean the "bbcode_quote" template? If so, I took a quick look at it, but I'm not sure what needs to be done for the changes I want.
      echo $ocean_signature;

      ;)

      Comment


      • #4
        Its all html. what do you want it to look like?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Zachery
          Its all html. what do you want it to look like?
          It's not so much the parsed version that I want to change - but how it's executed within the Text Editor. That way, control is maintained.

          My first post in this thread shows you what it's doing now, and what I would like it to be. I'm sure it's a small change, I just don't know where to make it.
          echo $ocean_signature;

          ;)

          Comment


          • #6
            Im confused, what does it matter if its on the same line or seperated by a line break, it will all look the same formatted.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Zachery
              Im confused, what does it matter if its on the same line or seperated by a line break, it will all look the same formatted.
              There are two things accomplished here:

              1. By having the Tags on seperate lines, it's easier to distinguish and edit quoted text while someone's editing a new message.

              2. If you look at what I specified above, it's not just having them on seperate lines, but also having an additional line above and below the quoted text. The difference is shown below:


              Originally posted by Test User
              Take a look at the boundries of this quoted text box. It comes right up against the text on the bottom. Meanwhile, on top - it's flush against the Quote Header Line.
              Originally posted by Test User 2

              Now take a look. There is an additional line above and below the Quoted Text. It spaces the quoted text out, and seperates it from the Quote Header Line. This makes it look less crowded, not to mention easier to distinguish from the Header Line.
              echo $ocean_signature;

              ;)

              Comment


              • #8
                This can be done by modifying the quote template

                HTML Code:
                <div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; <if condition="$show['iewidthfix']">width: 100%;</if>">
                	<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">$vbphrase[quote]:</div>
                	<table cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%">
                	<tr>
                		<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">
                			<if condition="$show['username']">
                				<div><phrase 1="$username">$vbphrase[originally_posted_by_x]</phrase></div><br />
                				<div style="font-style:italic">$message</div>
                			<else /><br />
                				$message
                			</if>
                <br />
                		</td>
                	</tr>
                	</table>
                </div>
                try that. note, this feature is not retroactive

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hmm... well I tried it. It puts the Quote Tags on their own lines, but I can't get it to add a blank line in between.

                  In other words, it's doing this:


                  Before:

                  {QUOTE=Test User}Sample Text{/QUOTE]



                  After:


                  {QUOTE=Test User}
                  Sample Text
                  {/QUOTE]




                  I'm trying to get it to do this:


                  {QUOTE=Test User}

                  Sample Text

                  {/QUOTE]



                  I tried changing the changing the {br /} to {br /}{br /} (using the correct <> characters of course) - but it has no effect.

                  Any ideas?


                  p.s. On a side note - I got it to work properly for when you reply via the Quote Button. That was ridiculously easy - it was just editing the newpost_quote template and adding the line breaks where I wanted them. Too bad that same solution doesn't work here!
                  echo $ocean_signature;

                  ;)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Like i said, its NOT retro active, youd have to make new posts to see if it was working.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zachery
                      Like i said, its NOT retro active, youd have to make new posts to see if it was working.
                      I realize that. I was actually referring to new posts that I experimented with after these changes were made.
                      echo $ocean_signature;

                      ;)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        With the modifications shown, the outcome after you click the Submit icon puts the extra lines as you wanted. But while your editing it still looks the same without the extra line spaces.

                        I see why you would like to have the extra spaces there while editing. My users are always chopping off part of the quote tags and I'm having to edit the post to make it a quote again. Some users just don't have a clue how the tags work.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Andy
                          With the modifications shown, the outcome after you click the Submit icon puts the extra lines as you wanted. But while your editing it still looks the same without the extra line spaces.

                          I see why you would like to have the extra spaces there while editing. My users are always chopping off part of the quote tags and I'm having to edit the post to make it a quote again. Some users just don't have a clue how the tags work.
                          Exactly! I wasn't looking to change the parsing of the tags - but to change how the tags themselves were applied.
                          echo $ocean_signature;

                          ;)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ocean
                            Exactly! I wasn't looking to change the parsing of the tags - but to change how the tags themselves were applied.
                            I'm afraid there isn't a simple solution for this problem. Lets say the extra lines are put in there, what would happen if they were removed in the process of editing the quote, you would end up with some quotes with the extra lines and some without.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andy
                              I'm afraid there isn't a simple solution for this problem. Lets say the extra lines are put in there, what would happen if they were removed in the process of editing the quote, you would end up with some quotes with the extra lines and some without.
                              And that's okay with me. I simply want them that way by default, if possible. It makes the quotes easier to edit and trim, if nothing else.
                              echo $ocean_signature;

                              ;)

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X