About the fonts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About the fonts

I've searched this forum for a definitive solution about how to deal with the fonts in VB 3 - I'm getting complaints daily since upgrading...first, everyone complained that they were huge, so I decreased the size - then others couldn't even see the text and I've ended with a middle of the road size which most don't love, and which is not adjustable in IE6.

It's a shame if there is still no solution for this problem. VB3 is such an improvement over VB2, and yet mostly all that I'm hearing is people wishing we could revert to the old version simply because we cannot get this font size situation to where it is satisfactory for everyone to read the board comfortably.

I'm hoping there is a solution here that I just have not found yet???

Ask your members to take some screenshots showing the supposed huge / small font sizes. We need to make sure there is actually a difference in font size and not just a difference in opinion.

Comment

vBulletin developers basically said "screw IE" and picked manual font sizes. Not sure why. The solution is to either change the font sizes to percentages or EMs or to create a few styles with different sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
        vBulletin developers basically said "screw IE" and picked manual font sizes. Not sure why. The solution is to either change the font sizes to percentages or EMs or to create a few styles with different sizes.
        My guess would be that Microsoft basically said "screw what other browsers are doing", and keep using outdated methods for font sizing in IE.

IE is a dinosaur (has been for awhile), and few people seem to know it. Although percentages are better all around for cross-browser compatibility, using pt's is better than pixel sizes or keywords like 'small' 'smaller' 'medium', etc. vBulletin has taken a step in the right direction.
        ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

EM and % works for me.

Originally posted by cbiweb
          vBulletin has taken a step in the right direction.
          By giving 30 million web browsers the finger?
          Last edited by feldon23; Tue 11th May '04, 6:50am.

Comment

You're right, EM is good, too. After much testing, I've discovered that % is more cross-browser friendly than EM, but there's not that much of a difference to worry about it. Personal preference, really. But any other sizing method just doesn't cut it in serious web design.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

Working...
            X