Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Restrict File Access To Certain UserGroups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Restrict File Access To Certain UserGroups?

I want to upload some videos that I will post as attachements in threads in a new forum. This forum will be managed via usergroups (i.e. when you achieve 50 posts you are granted access. The problem is that I am not sure if vbulletin automatically protects these files from download by all other members (for example if they know the file path)?

Thanks for the help.

Theres nothing by default you can do to protect this with vBulletin, however you could try asking at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Theres nothing by default you can do to protect this with vBulletin, however you could try asking at vBulletin.org
      Sure, lucky I signed up over there already today. You wouldn't happen to know if a hack already exists would you?

Comment

Also I am a bit of a noob. But would it be possible to upload the vids to one of my over sites than mess around with htdocs so it can only be downloaded when accessed from a particular URL (i.e. the url of the usergroup forum)? Thanks mate.

Comment

Would it not be that if you had the file attachments to posts within the restricted usergroup - then only people with access to that usergroup would be able to see, view and download the attachments...??

Also, can't being able to use/dl attachments be a privelege associated with a usergroup?
          John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
            Would it not be that if you had the file attachments to posts within the restricted usergroup - then only people with access to that usergroup would be able to see, view and download the attachments...??

Also, can't being able to use/dl attachments be a privelege associated with a usergroup?
            That's what I am wondering. I mean it unlikely really that people are going to post the file paths on the main board anyway so I can prolly just take the safe bet and stick them as attachments for now. I was just wondering if these attachments in specific usergroup areas would be 'hotlink' (for lack of a better wor) protected for example.

Comment

... if a user posted a link to the original post - then though the link could itself be seen on the thread it was posted within, if anyone without access/privelege to the restricued usergroup would not be able to access the link.
              John

Comment

OK, that will do nicely! Thanks for the help MusicMan and Zach. One more questions (it is a stupid one I know) but how does a user request to be a part of a usergroup? I created a new usergroup to hide access to this forum, but I can't find out how a use request entrance (although I can see where I review whether his entrance is accepted or not in the admincp). Thanks again.

Comment

I'm sure Zach will be able to answer this better than I AussiePride, but I think that you need to assign the usergroup an owner who will then be notified when anyone attempts to join it.

And I believe you can request to join a usergroup within the user control panel.
                  John

Comment

UserCP > Group Memeberships >

From here they will be able to join usergroups, if you want to moderate the members who are joining it make sure you assign a group leader

Comment

Thanks again guys. All sorted

Comment

Working...
                      X