Email problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email problems

I am a new vBulletin 3 user - just downloaded this past weekend, and set up my site. This is being hosted by my own server (Windows 2000 Adv Server).

I can't get vBulletin to send out any email verification, emails based on thread subscriptions, email lost password msg, etc.

Do I need to set up anything special on my own server to get this to work? SMTP, open ports on a firewall...or a config setting inside of vBulletin or PHP?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

You need to have a properly configured mail server, and your PHP needs to be configured to use that server. In the Admin CP, open the Server Settings and Optimization Options section and turn on the Public phpinfo() Display Enabled setting. Then provide the URL to your forums. This may help us troubleshoot this problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

which mail server do you recommend to get this to work properly? exchange would be overkill on many levels just to send mail out of vbulletin. is there a simple program out there, preferably freeware/shareware that could do the job?

please advise.

Comment

can someone please recommend something? my forum currently cannot email and i need to come up with a solution soon. thanks so much.

Comment

Originally posted by dj butterface
          can someone please recommend something? my forum currently cannot email and i need to come up with a solution soon. thanks so much.
          You need to set the SMTP field in the php.ini to point to the IP/DNS of your or an SMTP releay server. You also need to set the sendmail_from setting to a valid email address. (you may have to un-comment this setting)

Then re-start your webserver.

vB doesnt have its own sendmail engine to you have to point it toward a mail server.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X