No announcement yet.

Registration Email not working, Reminder email not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did all option above, but it didn't work. However, when I was creat a temp forum at the same server that I run my main forum to test our server mail system plus vb 3.0.3 is working fine.

I really don't know what is going about this error. Anyway, thanks Steve.

Comment

Do you mean they can get email - or cannot get email?

//sse

Comment

Originally posted by calvinnguyen
        I did all option above, but it didn't work. However, when I was creat a temp forum at the same server that I run my main forum to test our server mail system plus vb 3.0.3 is working fine.

I really don't know what is going about this error. Anyway, thanks Steve.
        If you did all of the above, then what did the mail logs show? And what were the result of running the Mail Diagnostics?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve -
          • Have invoked -f
          • Have run the diagnostics - they're clean.
          • Have had Pair look at the mail lots - no emails appear at all.
          • Have had Pair compare my email settings with a known good server using vB3 - they're the same.
          Still not working.

Here's something interesting: When I send a mail (logged in as the admin - via the front end) to one of the users, via the 'email user' form in the user list - it works. This user is not utilizing the same email address as me.

What's the difference in how these email forms work - is there a difference? Why would one form work and the other not?
          //sse

Comment

Resolved!

Steve - and everyone else:

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 11:05 AM
            To: [email protected]
            Subject: Re: [Z2P5M2Z] Mail Services on eeoth.pair.com

Hello,

It appears that things are working properly for you at this time. The key is to make sure that the board is using sendmail locally as opposed to SMTP. If you are still having problems, feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Bob, Pair Networks
            This issue is now resolved.

It appears that the issue was that the app was aimed at the SMTP service, when it should have been aimed locally at sendmail(). Our boards are now functioning properly (thank GOD).

Steve, please don't have a fit - after all this, I cannot remember if this was suggested as an potiential fix or not - and to be honest, at this point I don't care anymore.

I appreciate all the help from from you at vB - including that from the upgrade and getting past what the hackers did to us. True to my word, I'll fade away now (unless something else comes up! )

Thank you - all of you - for your support.

//sse

Comment

vB does not choose the SMTP server. That is configured in php.ini. What was the fix exactly?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I've requested a summary of what they changed - I'll forward it to you as soon as I get it.

Thanks again -
                //sse

Comment

Oh, I thought you were implying that you changed something in vB

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I don't know, Steve I tried just about everything - and with the lag time between getting responses (you guys are much faster at replying that Pair is), I'm not sure what I may have done/not done.

Pair says they did nothing:

-----Original Message-----
                    Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:54 AM
                    To: [email protected]
                    Subject: Re: [Z2P5M2Z] Mail Services on eeoth.pair.com

Hello,

Unfortunately, there were no changes made on the server. I was under the impression that you were able to figure things out yourself?

Regards,
                    Bob, Pair Networks
                    I find this all very curious...but it's working -- so I'm going to shut up now and get back to what I was doing before this entire hacking thing happened on July 4th.

Thanks again for your help - it's appreciated.

//sse

Comment

I'm having this same issue - but I'm unaware of how to change the settings from SMTP to sendmail().

I've read through this whole thread, and it's exactly what's going on with my board. Diagnostics are clean, other emails are being sent with no problem, but it's the new members awaiting confirmation, and members that are changing their email address that are not receiving any emails.

Please advise?

~Amber

Comment

Since some email is working, you will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails that don't work. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you.

For what it's worth I get a lot of bounced emails from people who's mail boxes are full, 'unavailable' or over quota. This is a particular problem with hotmail and yahoo accounts. Unless you are on a dedicated server and can set where these bounce messages go, you will never see them. The mail logs will have a record of these though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many ISPs and mail clients are putting in very aggressive spam filters. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Newbie Questions

Newbie Question,

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          ... Then try the vB email functions.
                          What are the vB email funtions, and how do you use them?

Thanks
                          Thanks,

C Phillips
                          http://www.gravic.com/

Comment

Send an email through your forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Similar issue but with AOL Users ONLY...

I've been having an "registration emails do not arrive" issue almost exactly like the ones described here except in my case the ONLY emails that do NOT get through are ones sent to AOL users. Earthlink users get them. Hotmail users seem to get them. Yahoo users have no problem either. It's ONLY AOL users who do not receive my registration emails. For a LONG time I thought this was because AOL had blocked ALL incoming emails from my webhosting company eons ago due to a long-ago spam attack on AOL users that came from one of CIHOST's 15,000 servers.

For this reason I had blocked the use of AOL email addresses when users registered months ago.

Then just recently I discovered that emails to AOL users from my server WERE getting through to the intended AOL recipients when those emails were sent from the WebMail utility on my server. However, they were definitely only NOT getting through when they were sent from vBulletin and/or from Hivemail.

When I looked close at the full email headers on the messages that were getting sent by vBulletin and by Hivemail, I realized that the vbulletin and hivemail headers showed the "Return path:" header sender as [email protected] and the "Received From:" line as showed "[email protected]".

At that point, I came here to this site and found this thread. Once I saw the note about the "-f" parameter, I changed that setting and tested again. What I found through further testing was that this changed the "Return Path:" line to say [email protected] but the "Received From:" line still showed as showed "[email protected]". However, to my disappointment, this STILL did not solve the problem. Emails from vbulletin and hivemail are STILL not getting through to AOL users.

My next step was to take a close look at the headers being produced by the webmail utility on my server. When I did that, I found that the outgoing mails to AOL users that DO arrive in the AOL boxes essentially did not show my servername at all. INSTEAD, they showed another servername owned and controlled by CIHOST.

When I contacted CIHOST's tech support about this, they basically told me that they are now using a "secure mail pathway" to send all mail to AOL users from all 15,000 of their IP addresses. They did that to overcome the fact that AOL has inbound mails from their entire range of server addresses blocked and has refused to UNBLOCK them for over 2 years now. They also said that my emails to AOL users SHOULD get through if my email headers are clearly identified as to the email's source and DO NOT contain any "[email protected]" email addresses in them.

I have tried and tried to make that happen but have so far been completely unsuccessful in doing so. As I said, with the "-f" parameter set, the "Return Path:" IS being set correctly by vbulletin. At least it is being set correctly for the verification emails. I haven't yet specifically tested to see WHAT it inserts in the case where the source of the emails is one of my registered users and NOT the webmaster of the site. But at least in the case of the registration confirmation emails, the "Return Path:" line IS getting set correctly. However, so far, NOTHING I can do either from the Vbulletin/Hivemail side of things or even by playing with the configuration parameters in PHP.INI seems to change the fact that the "Received from:" line in the email's header STILL contains [email protected] and according to CIHOST's techs that's what MUST happen in order for the AOL mails to get routed through the secure pathway that CIHOST uses for AOL mail.

BTW, I did also conduct the email diagnostics as suggested above

CIHOST's techs CLAIM that if the [email protected] parameter is set correctly, then the mail should be routed through their secured AOL sendmail servers and the emails should arrive. But so far, I've had absolutely no luck in changing this.

I'm wondering if anyone else here may have encountered a problem like this and if so, if you ever managed to figure out how to resolve it? And, if you DID resolve it, then HOW did you do so?

I can certainly understand CIHOST's reluctance to be explicit and tell me exactly how to route outbound AOL emails through their secure mail server. If they openly provided such information, they'd soon enough surely have some enterprising a--hole who'd try using that information to send jillions of spam emails to AOL users. But at the same time, it puts those of us who are running legitimate websites and have a perfectly valid need to send emails to AOL users at a very distinct disadvantage.

Frankly, I'd like nothing better than to find a way around this and I'm hoping someone here may have some helpful suggestions...

Thanks!
                              Last edited by websissy; Tue 24th Jan '06, 5:19am.

Comment

The "Received From:" line is set by the server, not vB. It is strange that emails from these forums and my own forums do go to AOL users fine. This indicates it's a server configuration issue rather than a vB one.

One thing you might want to try is the SMTP mail option to see if that works better for you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment