User having problem staying logged in after upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User having problem staying logged in after upgrade

Since the upgrade to vb3 today one of my users is complaining that he can't stay logged in. In vb2 the problem was often the culprit of the users settings for "remember username/password" or "browse board with cookeis" but I can't find those settings in vb3. Do they not exist anymore? Are they moved to somewhere else?
    Julie

I'm having the problem as well. Basically as long as you are on the site you are fine but when you leave it doesn't remember you regardless of checking the box.

Also, I went in and entered (what is evidently) a bad url for the cookie URL and now I can't get logged in at all - just keep getting sent back to the login (both for the board and the admin panel). How do I fix this?
    Julie

Comment

First clear your cookies, then run this

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...257#post486257

Comment

Ok, cleared my cookies and I can now get logged in again. But still I'm fine as long as I stay on the site and as soon as I leave and try to come back I have to re-login. While sitting here I've read other posts on this topic saying that it's a user end cookie issue but when I've cleared and reset my cookies and still have the same problem, I don't get it.
        Julie

Comment

Thanks. I must have posted the last one at the same time you did. I was heading back here to say I still couldn't get in the admincp... but after running the script everything is back to normal in that regards.

Still having the same problem with staying logged in on the board and the admincp after navigating away from the site.
          Julie

Comment

Still not being able to stay logged in after clearing all cookies, closing browser and even restarting machine. Yes, cookies are enabled and I'm not having problems staying logged in anywhere else... just my site since the upgrade... and so are my users. Try it yourself - http://www.singleandhappy.com - log in... close the browser... then open it and go back to the site... you have to login every time.
            Julie

Comment

Have you installed any hacks (including portals) or added any code to the headinclude, header or phpinclude templates? If not, fill out a support ticket at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/me...contactform.php

Be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP. If you have installed hacks or added code, then remove the hacks first then check and see if you still have this problem. If so, leave the default vB files in place and fill out the support request.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAskJulie
                I'm having the problem as well. Basically as long as you are on the site you are fine but when you leave it doesn't remember you regardless of checking the box.

Also, I went in and entered (what is evidently) a bad url for the cookie URL and now I can't get logged in at all - just keep getting sent back to the login (both for the board and the admin panel). How do I fix this?
                I am having this problem as well - my users (as well as I) are being asked to login everytime they return to the site. If they leave the site for more than a day, they are asked to login - even if they click "remember me". Any idea why this could be? The only cookie settings I have changed is the prefix and the domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludachris
                  The only cookie settings I have changed is the prefix and the domain.
                  Since those are the only cookie settings available then that's probably it. Change your cookie domain back to blank and the path to /.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Since those are the only cookie settings available then that's probably it. Change your cookie domain back to blank and the path to /.
                    Well, there are more cookie settings than that - the path is set to / since I never changed that. The Cookie Domain and Cookie Prefix are what I changed. I'll try setting it all to the default settings. Should the cookie prefix be set back to "bb" then also? or would that matter if I changed it to a different two letter combo?
                    Last edited by Ludachris; Tue 4th May '04, 10:04am.

Comment

Sorry I thouhg you said 'path' not prefix. Was there any specific reason you decided to change these from the defaults? My recommendation is the same as I posted before. Note some of your members may have to manually delete their cookies because of the changes you made to the domain and path.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Question - should I change the cookie prefix back to "bb" in the config file? I'm running two other scripts (Photopost scripts) that reference all the same cookie settings, so I have to be careful to make changes to everything.

Update - now that I've changed the "path" and "domain" cookie settings back to default, I'm having more people complain about logging in, being thanked, then being taken back to the login screen. They've cleared their cookies and it doesn't seem to help. What should I do next?
                        Last edited by Ludachris; Tue 4th May '04, 2:08pm.

Comment

I really don't know what to suggest. I don't know how Photopost cookies work and what affect making any changes will have on them. At any point we cannot provide official support for hacked forums with third-party add-ons. If you remove all hacks and add-ons and still have this problem, then I'd suggest filling out a support ticket.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            I really don't know what to suggest. I don't know how Photopost cookies work and what affect making any changes will have on them. At any point we cannot provide official support for hacked forums with third-party add-ons. If you remove all hacks and add-ons and still have this problem, then I'd suggest filling out a support ticket.
                            Well, now I'm at a loss. I understand your position, as you cannot support everyone elses' code, but now I'm sort of screwed. My sites are my business and I need to run hacks in order to stay ahead of the competition. I can't afford to remove complete sections of my site because I upgraded to a new version of vbulletin and am now having problems that I didn't have with vb2. I even waited for the gold version to avoid these problems. I guess the only option some of us will have is to just revert to vb2. This is quite unfortunate. I really like the new features VB3 offers. I just wish it was as versatile as vb2.

I know I can't blame you guys, as it's not your fault. But I'm really in a tough situation now. I'm losing members as we speak and can not get any useful support for the problem - and I'm probably not the only one. I wish I would have stayed with vb2 a little longer until these things were completely worked out.

Comment

My problem turned out to be that I hadn't uploaded ALL Of the 3.0.1 files and still had some 3.0 files sitting there. Once I overwrote all of the old 3.0 files everything started working as it should. So you might want to try that as well.
                              Julie

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X