Searching Error - Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about PHP 4.2.3?
    Are there such bugs that cause memory leaks too?

-Fish

Comment

I'm currently running 4.3.3 and still getting the same out of memory errors.

What other options are there to get around this problem?

Personally I find it incredible that Jelsoft find it acceptible for an instance of VB to use 16 or 32mb and simply say 'increase your php memory limits'.

Fine if you're on a quiet site, if you run a busy site and potientally could have 10/20 people searching at the same time - it would quite easy cripple the server in minutes.

Perhaps instead of going for the easy option of telling us to increase memory limits, you could rewrite the search engine to be a damn sight more efficient?
      Regards

Steve.
      www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
      85k users and 4million posts & growing.

Comment

Besides which, it could quite easily be the basis of a DOS attack on any VB forum out there, all someone needs to do is guess a common word in your forums, find out what combination causes the error and then submit multiple searches every second... bring any server down to its knees very quickly.
        Regards

Steve.

Comment

Thats why most admins unless they have some very very fast system limit searching. As by default i think its every 30 seconds, IIRC the search system was improved in 3.0.3 and I do belive it is somthing we are working on in the future.

But there is a point when you really do need to up your memory limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            Thats why most admins unless they have some very very fast system limit searching. As by default i think its every 30 seconds, IIRC the search system was improved in 3.0.3 and I do belive it is somthing we are working on in the future.

But there is a point when you really do need to up your memory limit.
            How are the searches limited then? I don't really want to do members only searching as that's pointless, one of the real benefits comes from guest being able to search the forums for solutions to problems or information.

I recall there's supposed to be a limit to the number of searches you can do per minute - somthing like that. I have a theory how this could be exploited, I'll try it on my site and if it does pose a DOS problem, I'll email support directly.
            Regards

Steve.

Comment

by default guests i believe are restricted by the same limits as members.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X