X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Error - Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted

To recreate this problem:
    When running certain searches in our forums, we are getting this error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/forums/www/search.php on line 946

http://forums.pcper.com/search.php?

search for "case" -- you'll get the error.
    serach for "shrout" -- you won't get the error

I am assuming this is because there are a lot of results for the word "case" on our forums.

I know one solution is to keep increasing hte amount of memory that PHP is allowed to use, but this seems kind of dangerous to me. Having a single search use up 32 or 64 MB of memory, then having multiple people searching for hte same or similar sized terms at the same time....and you can see how this might eat up the 2 GB of memory my server has pretty quickly.

Is there no protection or work around for this error in vBulletin's software?

Just saw this was posted on another thread, but that thread's only answer seems to be to up the memory allocation.

I am looking for a more permanent solution from Jelsoft -- something that won't require me to up the memory limit again when I get 5 million posts instead of 2.5 million.

Comment

What is your currenty memory limit?

Comment

It was 24MB but I just upped it to 32MB.

The same error occurs on the search term "case".

Comment

Did you make sure you restarted apache?

Also what is this set to
          AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Message Searching Options > Maximum Search Results to Return?

Comment

Yep, if you run the search, it now shows 32 megs of memory exhausted.

Comment

Max search results is set to 250

Comment

Can you enable public phpinfo in the AdminCP for a few?

Comment

yep, done.

Comment

Your php is terribly out of date, php 4.2.2 is very very buggy, you should try upgrading to 4.3.6.

Comment

Is this really going to fix anything related to my problem or are you just throwing that out there?

Comment

I think some of the php 4.2.2 serries bugs was memory leaks

Comment

This only happens during searches though... ?

Comment

Honestly, its in your best intrests to upgrade php if its possible.

There are tons and tons of bugs assoiated with vBulletin and php 4.2.2

Comment

Zach is right. There are LOTS of problems with PHP 4.2.2 that affect vB.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X