FAQ Error.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ Error.

I am trying to build a new FAQ for my board.

I am trying to add new stuff, so I go to:

AdminCP> FAQ> Add New FAQ Item>

From here I have a new faq item.

In the "Varname" field at the top, it says, "new_faq_item" - and I don't know what this does and the "?" at the right doesn't say anything, so I leave it alone.

The next item is a drop-down list of forums I can add this to as a child entry. I select a forum.

Next it wants a title. No problem. I give it a title.

Next it wants a text entry. No problem, I throw some words in there.

Everything below that is over my head so I ignore it.

I hit save.

I get a popup box that says, "Sorry, there is already an item called 'new_faq_item'"

So uh... Huh? What? I didn't do it.

Someone hook me up? I'm just trying to build a simple FAQ.

Thanks,

Alastor.

new_faq_item has to be a unique name.

new_faq_item_one
    new_faq_item_two

they are unique.

On-line manual: Frequently Asked Questions > Adding or Editing a FAQ Item

Comment

Thank you, Floris!

How do I see which items have already been used? Like, where do I see the list of what "new_faq_item_xxxxx" I am on currently?

Alastor.

Comment

I am afraid you can't.

Comment

Thank you.

It's odd, but I suppose that's okay, as long as I never need that information again.

Will I need that information ever gain? Like, should I keep a list of what 'new_faq_item_X's I use, or is that just... information I'll never need?

Alastor.

Comment

When you edit the faq item you can see how it is named, i believe you can also rename it then.

I think it will be used as a link to link all faqs to their parent/child listing so you can search through them and click on links.

Comment

Oh, okay. That works. As long as there's a way for me to recall that information somehow and I don't have to keep a notepad document on it that I can loose we're good to go.

Thanks, Floris.

Alastor.

Comment

I also try to make a tree setup for myself, so I can keep logical track of what I do and where I am - hopefully to avoid unique names.

• thread_tools
                  • thread_tools_split
                  • thread_tools_edit
                  • thread_tools_merge
                  • thread_tools_etc
                • post_reply
                  • post_reply_button
                  • post_reply_permission
                  • post_reply_errors
                  • post_reply_tools
                  • post_reply_tricks
                • etc
                This way it is harder to make duplicate entries.

Comment

Floris, you've been a great help to me today and I appreciate that.

I have one last question though.

I am trying to modify the default FAQs that came with the board to reflect site specific changes.

For example, I have this entry:

vb_board_search

And the text reads:

Title Can I search the forum? Text <p>You can search for posts based on username, word(s) in the post or just in the subject, by date, and only in particular forums.</p>
                  <p>To access the search feature, click on the "search" link at the top of most pages.</p>
                  <p>You can search any forum that you have permission to search - you will not be allowed to search through private forums unless the administrator has given you the necessary security rights to do so.</p>
                  And... I want to change that to say something else, but I don't think I can. When I get this sucker into the FAQ menu I click on the edit box associated with it, and where the text field is normally white and I can type in it and such, I don't get that here. I get a gray one and I can't change the text.

My presumption is that since these are default FAQs, I can't edit them, so I would have to delete them and then replace them with my own rendition. Is this presumption correct?

Alastor.

Comment

You should get this:

Title (English (US) Translation)
                    where you can translate it.
                    (well, for english this would mean you can change the default)

Comment

Oh! I thought "translate" actually meant to translate it or something. Heh. My mistake. I hate messing with things I don't understand because I crashed my old forums often that way.

Thanks so much, Floris.

And that's a good idea on the tree route. I believe I will do it that way.

Very good. Excellent. I should be good to go now. I appreciate it.

Alastor.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X