Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading is a joke!

Ello all,

I recently purchased v3 and got a techwizard from Jelsoft to set it for me. This was done swiftly - very good.

BUT i find out that my new shiny forum requires updating already. Not a problem i thought - "i'm pc/internet savvy, should be a breeze" no, this is not the case. Unfortunately upgrading a forum isn't quite the same as a patch for computer game, for instance.

I managed the back-up procedure - this wasn't too bad - phpmyadmin being intuitive enough. Then came the next bit - upgrading the files. Suddenly the learning curve just changed to 90 degrees straight upwards. Altering of php files, changing file names, etc. What a nightmare and a headache rolled into one!!

Could the guys at Jelsoft not offer to upgrade your forum for a small fee? I know they'd be getting my money straight away.

Well, i'm leaving the upgrade for now, until i regenerate enough confidence to edit the php strings
    "To err is human; to really mess up, you need a computer."

Jelsoft does have the service to upgrade your forum, it is available in the member area as additional option.

Anyway, the upgrade is as simple as patching a game.

a) You get the latest .zip from the members area.
    b) You make a backup of your current working version.
    c) You unpack the .zip and upload all the files to the server, overwriting the files you have there.
    d) You open the browser and point it to yoursite.com/forumdir/install/upgrade.php and follow the onscreen instructions.

No file edits are required.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
      No file edits are required.
      You do have to edit and rename the config.php.new file

Comment

Only if you delete all the files before uploding

Comment

Originally posted by padmaster
          You do have to edit and rename the config.php.new file
          That is for 2 situations:

Installation; if you have no files on the server (like you removed them all first) then config.php.new has to be renamed to config.php and the options for the server details have to get added. (In upgrade or installation situation where no files are on the server).

Upgrade; when you go from version 2 to version 3 - the config.php has changed quite a bit and requires to get renewed, the upgrade instructions for version 2 include to remove the files from the server first. (where point 1 above jumps in).

In general, going from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 - no file changes are required.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple Ox
            Ello all,

I recently purchased v3 and got a techwizard from Jelsoft to set it for me. This was done swiftly - very good.

BUT i find out that my new shiny forum requires updating already. Not a problem i thought - "i'm pc/internet savvy, should be a breeze" no, this is not the case. Unfortunately upgrading a forum isn't quite the same as a patch for computer game, for instance.

I managed the back-up procedure - this wasn't too bad - phpmyadmin being intuitive enough. Then came the next bit - upgrading the files. Suddenly the learning curve just changed to 90 degrees straight upwards. Altering of php files, changing file names, etc. What a nightmare and a headache rolled into one!!

Could the guys at Jelsoft not offer to upgrade your forum for a small fee? I know they'd be getting my money straight away.

Well, i'm leaving the upgrade for now, until i regenerate enough confidence to edit the php strings
            I just checked - I am sorry!

It looks like Jelsoft currently doesn't offer a paid upgrade service.
            However, we do offer support for upgrade difficulties that you encounter through our priority support forums or the support system in the member area.

Comment

Hey Triple, if you need someone yo upgrade your software for you, I would be happy to help out, but keep in mind I don't work for vB, just a warning. I shouldn't have a problem upgraded it though, seems very easy.

Comment

I am not too sure if solicitating is allowed on these forums Yuneek.

Also, tripple ox, since you can't see who is a licensed member and not, be carefull who you give access to.

(Just a 'for your information' post)

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                  I just checked - I am sorry!

It looks like Jelsoft currently doesn't offer a paid upgrade service.
                  However, we do offer support for upgrade difficulties that you encounter through our priority support forums or the support system in the member area.
                  Another half hour spent trying to find your upgrade service

Would you not consider this as a new product for your business? It'd save me a lot of stress and time. And i'm sure your team have the skill to upgrade it in a flash It seems a shame how in this day and age a file can not be created to locate and the change the strings in the config file automatically.

Thanks for the offer Yuneek, btw.

Hopefully the bugs in 3.0.0 aren't too bad. I'll leave it as it is. If it ain't broke...
                  "To err is human; to really mess up, you need a computer."

Comment

You could contact [email protected] and see if they (by any chance) have the free time to assist you. Upgrading isn't that hard and if you have any issues just post them in the appropiate installation troubleshooting forum where we will process and assist you as much as possible.

Comment

I just found out it indeed IS possible.

I am very sorry for the confusion, but it appears there is indeed an option to purchase an upgrade service done by someone from Jelsoft.

Member Area > Upgrade / Renew License > and selecting the radio button next to "Upgrade".

/me goes hit head against wall.

Comment

I'm also in the same situation, I used to run phpbb but got fed up with updating files and upgrading because of bugs, that is why I forked out my money on vB, now there is an upgrade to do already and I have no confidence in upgrading as I have put in place a few hacks, how do I go about upgrading and not have to re-hack the board, I see there are a few posts about that state it only takes minutes to do, if it only takes minutes and is so simple why do you charge $135 do carry this out
                        1. Is there a simple step by step guide for upgrading a modded board
                        2. Is there anywhere I can just download the updated files
                        3. What problems will I see if I do not upgrade, am I a security risk
                        Regards

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by martync
                          I see there are a few posts about that state it only takes minutes to do, if it only takes minutes and is so simple why do you charge $135 do carry this out
                          Many boards can upgrade in minutes. However, this isn't always the case. When we upgrade a forum we perform a complete backup, verify that backup as being complete and accurate and then upgrade the forum software. After which, they verify the upgrade went succesfully.

When upgrading a medium sized board (500,000 posts) from vBulletin 2.3.5 to 3.0.1, our installers are commiting almost six hours to do this. If there are problems with the server, mysql, php duing this time it can take a lot longer. It has been the case in the past where either PHP or MySQL have to be upgraded to support an upgrade in vBulletin and of course this takes time.

Sure, if you have a small board with a few thousand posts the cost can be prohibitive. Unfortunately, it is a supply and demand problem as well. At lower prices we were simply overwhelmed. The problem you are facing is that you have modded the files (as stated in your previous post). In our experience those people who apply modifications can use an FTP program and run a script in their web browser and therefore would not be interested in the upgrade service to begin with.

To upgrade your modded forum, you would need to do the following:

1. Download the new version.
                          2. Unzip it or untar it to your local harddrive.
                          3. Use a file compare utility such as Beyond Compare or Araxis Merge and compare your files with the new ones making the same changes you made in the previous version (Please note: 2.X modifications are not compatible with 3.0).
                          4. Upload all files to your development server.
                          5. Test your modifications.
                          6. Once your modifications have been tested, upload the files to your production server and run the upgrade.php script in your web browser.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but you have not answered number 3, am I at risk if I do not upgrade

Martyn

Comment

Originally posted by martync
                              Thanks for the reply, but you have not answered number 3, am I at risk if I do not upgrade

Martyn
                              This depends on which version you are running. There are no known security risks with 2.3.5, 3.0.0. and 3.0.1.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Working...
                              X