Anonymous Reputation Awards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymous Reputation Awards?

Is it possible to allow my users to anonymously award each other reputation?

I see a problem with having to post your name and comment with an award or penalty in that people will be much less apt to actually let someone know when they're pissed for fear of retribution.

Is there a way to make this anonymous for my users?

Alastor.

This is controlled by usergroup. In the Usergroup Manager look in General Permissions and you'll see the option to turn on or off Can See Who Left User Ratings

John

Comment

I thought that option applied to rating threads?

Can I get a definite clarification here please?

Does that option apply to THREAD ratings or to REPUTATION adjustments?

Alastor.

Comment

I've just tested it and it definitely works on reputation. I don't know whether or not it also applies to thread ratings, but it should be easy enough to check!

John

Comment

Thanks, John!

Preciate that.

Alastor.

Comment

Aha!

yes, indeed, it works perfectly, John. The problem was that I was for some odd reason, only playing with reputation notes using my admin account. My test account (normal user) though truly does not have any clue who left the notes.

Excellent.

Thank you.

Alastor.
            Last edited by Alastor; Sun 18 Apr '04, 3:55am. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

No problem

Some of these options take a bit of finding! I'll shortly be implementing the reputation system on my forums and I've been exploring how it works and reading about various other people's experiences so far.

My system will be anonymous, and I am also disabling the comments feature as it only seems to encourage abuse. It's not an option as such, but is quite an easy template modification.

I will also be limiting the number of reps that people can leave each day and not making it easy to acquire large amounts of reputation power. I hope that this will limit individuals' ability to use the system as a weapon so that it genuinely reflects the wider membersip's opinion!

It will be interesting to see how well it works . . .

John
              Last edited by JohnK; Sun 18 Apr '04, 10:10am.

Comment

I will also be limiting the number of reps that people can leave each day and not making it easy to acquire large amounts of reputation power. I hope that this will limit individuals' ability to use the system as a weapon so that it genuinely reflects the wider membersip's opinion!
                That's exactly what I did.

First, I set absurdly high reputation levels for promotions, and might even jack it higher, since I just know it's going to build on its own - and I want it to take literally years to reach the highest levels of the boards.

The highest level of user is achieved currently at 30,000 + reputation, but that could go higher depending on how fast I see it go up.

I further added in a date requirement for each level (I have 20 positive levels and 2 negative), such that a person must, at minimum, be a member two years before they can possibly reach the highest level, and then they still need the reputation. I've also given my mods the ability to alter user sign-up dates to prevent someone that gets nailed by a mod from regaining their status the next day as a result of "fan clubs".

I let them hit or praise once per day, and our system is anonymous. I like the note thing because it gives users a chance to anonymously tell others exactly why they're annoying each other.

And of course, no system is perfect, and someone will figure out how to abuse it, so we'll need to work through that - and no amount of preperation can prevent it. We just kind of have to live and learn I suspect.

Good luck to you. I'd be interested to hear your final forumulas and such when you launch that portion of your boards. I think it's pretty neat stuff.

Alastor.

Comment

Working...
                X