Newbie instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie instructions

I'm just now launching a new VB3 board. My user community is not very technically savy - many have never been on a discussion board and don't know what a "thread" or a "post" is. Some even have AOL accounts!

The FAQs that ship with VB are over their heads. They need real basic instructions on how to navigate around the forum. Instructions that I'll post on my main page before they even see the discussion board.

Are there any such newbie instructions around floating around that I can use as a starting point?

If not, I'll have to derive these instructions by observing an operational board - such as this vBulletin board. Is this board configured sort of "generically"?

For example, the kinds of things I'll want to explain to my users are:

When you enter the board - how do you quickly go to the new posts you haven't seen yet. When I go onto this board, it seems that the posts I haven't seen yet are in bold.

Like that.

Thanks,

Askold
    Askold Wawryszyn

... click on the 'New Posts' link in the nav bar at the top of the page...
    John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
      ... click on the 'New Posts' link in the nav bar at the top of the page...
      OK - that's nice - I didn't know about that.

See, that's exactly what I mean: is there a compilation of this basic information.

For example, it seems that "new posts" shows posts of a certain age - including posts that I've looked at. How about only posts that I didn't see yet.

I guess I could poke around the board, pressing buttons until I figured everything out - but a user manual (as compared to a system admin manual) would be nice.

Thanks,

Askold
      Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

Well... not quite sure how to read your reply... but, as a newbie to vB myself, I was actually trying to help you & I am hoping you were not being facetious... (difficult to read/interpret online)

1 - If you didn't know about that 'New Posts' function link - glad to help
        2 - Are you aware of the online manual available here ->http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/
        3 - the 'New Posts' link in the nav bar shows all new posts i.e. new threads, new replies to existing threads etc

J
        John

Comment

Hello Musicman,

Me facetious - nope, I actually didn't know how the New Post function worked. I don't think it's written down anywhere.

I experiemented and it seems that you get all new posts since the last time you logged on. If you log off and immediatly log back on, you'll get no new posts until somebody creates a new post. Furthermore, within the new posts, the title is in bold if you haven't looked at the post and regular if you have.

This is the kind of stuff I'm going to have to tell my users - most of them won't be able to figure it out on their own and that lack of knowledge will keep them from using the board.

Back to the topic of "new posts", I did find one anomaly - when I do "new post" on this board, I keep getting the same set of post until I log out. On my board, the new posts don't show up in the "new post" search after a while. Maybe there is a timer somewhere that I don't know about.

So, I'd be happy to share "user" level information with you. I've read the VB admin info (printed most of it) and used it to create a working site. But it looks like there is no user instructions beyond the FAQ. So, I'm going to compile the information - if you'd like to get a copy, let me know.
          Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

Hey Askoldww

Then I sincerely apologise to you sir... it is difficult to interpret tone online and I obviously made a huge mistake there - sorry...

I'd love to share this 'user' info when you have it. Maybe we can collaborate - I still need to migrate my phpBB2 forum across first, then my users are in for a shock as well eh! I'd be happy to share any interesting snippets found for the benefit of users.

Cheers...

John
            John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan

I'd love to share this 'user' info when you have it. Maybe we can collaborate - I still need to migrate my phpBB2 forum across first, then my users are in for a shock as well eh! I'd be happy to share any interesting snippets found for the benefit of users.
              Sounds good - I'm going to take a first cut at some newbie users instructions today. Maybe interrupted by Easter holidays.

I'll send you what I have via your email.

If anybody else reading this wants a copy - just let me know.

Later,
              Askold Wawryszyn

Comment

Hi Askold - I'd be interested in checking out your newbie instructions for vBulletin. Could you post them here as a downloadable link or as an attached file? I would be very grateful....thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X