postindex table crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• postindex table crashing

Hi there. I've searched these threads with regards to problems with the postindex table but haven't found anyone having quite the same problem as us.

The postindex table has 'crashed' nearly every day for the last two weeks.

Post records : 180,000 - 200,000 (prune weekly to keep it below 200,000)
    Postindex records : nearly 4 million (took 2 days to re-index during upgrade)
    Simultaneously Logged In Users (not bots; peak hours 11am to 4pm GMT) : 200-300
    Traffic : 8-10GB per day (no sigs, no avatars, image size limit - we try to keep it lean as poss)

We have switched off access for all but registered members and have seriously curtailed spider activity - there were about 65 bots active at any given moment.

We do not have telnet or control panel facilities - it's a 'grace and favour' server and we're at the mercy of some rather junior admins. We are begging them for a control panel right now.

Symptoms: posting becomes difficult, viewing slows, vBulletin3 hangs.

If I manage to get into phpMyAdmin I can see that it is inevitably the postindex table hanging during a check process - with lots of postindex updates queued up waiting for it to be unlocked. The admin panel repair tool will report it as having crashed and been corrupted. Repair appears to be successful each time but once everything looks OK, the db process list clear etc.. MySQL behaves like a sick dog and all we can do is ask the admins to reboot the whole server.

Any news of the 'fulltext search engine hack', which I believe may free us from this postindex millstone? Any other tips, hacks, advice, moral support, lame jokes... ?

Please! We're desperate!

Which version of MySQL is installed?
    Maybe with these kind of site stats it is advisable to find a proper dedicated hosting solution to gain control over your data.

Comment

MySQL 4.0.16

It's already on a dedicated server with a major ISP. The site is non-profit and when you're getting it free, you can't exactly be too pushy.
      Last edited by urban75; Mon 5 Apr '04, 6:17am.

Comment

4.0.16 is great! Saves quite some corruption, you dont'really need cpanel if you can run phpmyadmin yourself, what would help was a shell access so you can optimize your config settings and do a proper optimize & repair on the database.

Comment

It would be lovely to have proper access to the shell. Given that everything else runs like a dream, we rarely require it though.

Our major problem is with this postindex table. The crash today was quite bad.

Right now, I am investigating some problems with the post table. Looks like the last crash might have had some side-effects.

Comment

When you run optimize and repair, do you close your forum first? When someone is connecting to the table it won't let you process it.

Comment

Yes, just now I have closed the forum, checked and optimised post, posthash, postindex, thread, threadview and word. All OK.

Straight afterwards though, MySQL stopped responding.

I am looking at domain transfer in between posts here.

The post table problems are manifesting themselves as things like:

New posts not showing - email notifications for these new posts are still going out though
              A thread having 42 pages won't let you go past page 41

I closed the forum about 5 minutes after the server was rebooted, so there shouldn't be very many posts affected, but it does look like there is some sort of problem with the post table. It checked OK in both admin panel and phpMyAdmin.
              Last edited by urban75; Mon 5 Apr '04, 6:41am. Reason: spelling

Comment

Was just looking at a new hosting service but noticed that the package would include MySQL 3.23.58.

I'm guessing that there might be issues with transferring from MySQL 4.0.16 to MySQL 3.23.58. Would it be definite no-no?

Comment

It is possible, but you loose the benefits, I really REALLY advice sticking with 4.0.1x MySQL and PHP 4 - especially for a busy site like yours.

Comment

Are you running vB3 Gold?
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2

Comment

Upgrade to vB3 Gold since there have been many changes and bug fixes since RC2.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Where can I find vB3 Gold and does it still require this postindex table. As mentioned before, it took us 2 days to reindex after last upgrade. We were hoping to avoid this again - hoping for an upgrade that did away with postindex table.

Is there a list of things fixed in the Gold version?

Thanks.

Comment

You can download vB3 Gold from the Members Area.

And you do not have to rebuild the searchindex with this upgrade. That was only needed when upgrading from vB2 to vB3.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks, sounds good. We'll take a look.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X