Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble showing custom style with a guest account.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble showing custom style with a guest account.

Hi

I have one forum that is accessible through both the forum index page as well as embedded in another page on my site.

When the user is logged in, I can direct the appropriate style by using the 'styleid=x' format. When the guest is trying to access the page from my embedded site without being logged in, they are shown the default style even though i specify that the style should be the second one.

Any ideas how I can make the forum display the custom style to guests using my embedded page?

Thanks

Roy

Hmm, if it works for registered users then it should work for guests.

What is the URL of your site?

Comment

This is the URL for the forum that is supposed to be purple (this is not the page with the embedding, but the direct link.)

http://www.crossmap.com/forums/forum...f=49&styleid=4

The header should be a purple "picks" banner rather than the blue "crossmap forums" one.

This is an exmample of another forum that I have forced to use the purple style for demonstration.

http://forums.crossmap.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I do not want to use this method for the first forum because the value will differ depending on where the user is coming from.

Thanks

Roy

Comment

If i remember correctly, any style that is disabled (not chooseable in the style chooser) cannot be used by anyone other than an admin using the styleid=X feature.

This is rather the opisite compared to how vB2 worked.

Comment

Those links aren't loading for me. Are they loading for you?

Comment

I believe that the styles that I have been working on are enabled.. the boxes to the left of my styles in the style manager have their boxes checked.

The links should be working, I just double checked them a moment ago.

Comment

I have sent a ticket to the vbulletin support team.

Thanks for all your guidance.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by royli57
                I believe that the styles that I have been working on are enabled.. the boxes to the left of my styles in the style manager have their boxes checked.
                It works for registered users, right?

Originally posted by royli57
                The links should be working, I just double checked them a moment ago.
                They still aren't loading for me.

Comment

The home address for my forums is below:

http://forums.crossmap.com

I do not know why the above links would not work. If this one is invalid for you also, perhaps there is a more serious problem I am overlooking.

Also please tell me what the error is like, perhaps I could debug it from here.

It works for registered users, right?
                  There appears to be nothing wrong once the user is logged in. This is assuming that users who are not logged in are the same as "guests."
                  Last edited by royli57; Fri 2 Apr '04, 8:40pm.

Comment

As per your ticket you did not set the forum to use any specific style. Thus Guests will always see the default style.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The links are working now. All 3 links show the blue crossmap style.

If the style is user-selectable and it's still not working then I'm not sure what's wrong. If you fill out a support ticket with an admin login for your forums then we can take a look.

Comment

Thanks Steve! I have posted your reply here for other members:

In order to force people to see a specific style when visiting a specific forum, you need to set these values in the Forum Manager:

- Custom Style for this Forum -> set style
                        - Override Users' Style Choice -> yes

Otherwise they will see the default style. And in the Site Showcase forum you linked to, you have this set so guests will also see the default style.

All the best,
                        Steve Machol
                        Support Team, vBulletin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X