Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark99
    replied
    Can I ask because it's been awhile now, has anybody managed to get through the upgrade process on a 1&1 server without needing to cut the language file in half (remove help text phrases) and if so.. how did you do it?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Try Freddie's suggestion in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...617#post625617

Leave a comment:

• mark99
    replied
    I've just been told that, due to a number of serious problems, the upgrade to PHP v4.3.x will now not occur for another 2/3 weeks as opposed to 2/3 days. Guess more waiting is in order.

Leave a comment:

• mark99
    replied
    I was able to get a sort of higher level reply from 1&1, it goes something like this:

xml-support is enabled in our php 4.3.2. Compiling with '--with-xml' isn't necessary. xml-support is enabled by default.

In php 4.2.3 (which is running on the server at the moment) the version
    number of the libxml is 2.4.30. In the next version of php (4.3.5) this libxml
    will be replaced with the verion 2.6.2.

I have taken a look at the documentation on vbulletin.org but I wasn't able to find exact system requirements. Even there is no possibility to make a test-installation.

So we have to wait until the new php version is installed on our server.
    My other contact stated last week that the server would be upgraded to PHP v4.3.x sometime this week, although that has yet to occur. Generally this doesn't really help us, but big upgrades can always bring with them changes that might. Hopefully I can try again on Sunday.

UNRELATED NOTE TO VB TEAM: Sometimes the post I make seems to get push down (made newer) in the thread rendering. One I posted 3 days ago on another topic appears ahead of its original placing as 1 day old now - odd stuff.

Leave a comment:

• stoopid
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogo
    On one 1&1 server I had my hands on the import of the complete master language worked when I called this script: yourdomain.com/forum/install/install.php?step=6
    odd

I really don't need the help files, so this works fine for now

Leave a comment:

• Pogo
    replied
    You deleted the help text that will be shown when you click the little (?) buttons in the admin control panel to get some help on a function or setting.

On one 1&1 server I had my hands on the import of the complete master language worked when I called this script: yourdomain.com/forum/install/install.php?step=6

Leave a comment:

• stoopid
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogo
    Perhaps you can try to delete the Control Panel Help Text phrases from the vbulletin-language.xml before upgrading.

Delete everything from line 5202 - 9222

If you are lucky it might work then.
    I remember someone telling me that downsizing the language xml helped. And by deleting the control panel help text phrases you nearly cut in in half.
    This worked to get me past the steps that require the master language.

Thanks!

Now to shoot a note to 1and1 so they get off their rumps and fix this!
    Last edited by stoopid; Tue 6 Apr '04, 2:03pm.

Leave a comment:

• stoopid
    replied
    ****, I'm on a 1and1 server as well and having the same problem!

Leave a comment:

• mark99
    replied
    Wonderful, well at least that explains why I can't upgrade either. Still, now I'm left instead with fuming anger at having paid to extend my vB3 lease only to find the host doesn't support it. We can't all afford the time and money needed for a root server, so that's out of the question for me ;(.

I really want to hear from the vB3 team now, specifically whether there's anything they can do at all? 1&1 is a massive pan-european host and I've counted about 10 complaints here so far of the same problem, there must be many more just waiting to surface.

We need an alternative option on the language import step to get around this, some other way of getting the data into the database, perhaps it would work if split up into stages?

I think one other problem might be that the size of the .XML import exceeds the free memory (not space) the server has to run with for MySQL. After all, the LANGUAGE .XML isn't the only .XML import the system performs, why should it be able to do the others and not that one other than the sheer size of file data?

Clearly 1&1 is too damn lazy to fix it their side... arrrggg some staff member please reply!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Unfortunately I do not know of any workaround for this. I'll try to see if one of the Devs can take a look at this problem.

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Do they install Apache and MySQL etc or do you really start from scratch and have to do everything yourself?
    That was my concern also. I had spoken with several other providers and their version of a root server was basically a black box with an operating system. Everything else was your responsibility.

With root server from 1&1, everything is pre-installed and pretty much ready to go.

I have no Linux or Apache experience and I was able to get my first domain online in about four hours (it should have been half of that but as I said I had no Apache Linux experience).

Administrating server is very easy using Plesk. Plesk takes care of all of your domain issues including database (MySQL), e-mail, FTP, etc..

PHP was configured properly for VB3 right out of the box.

Tech support was pretty good. Dependent on time of day and who you talked with.

The only real negatives are you must maintain backups (unless you want to pay 1&1 to do it, $49/month for 20 Gig.). And you responsible for server security (no hardware firewall).

If you have any experience with Linux and or Apache I would say go for it.

The flexibility is great

Pricing here in the US is $49/month for 40GB HD, 256 K memory., 2GHz Celeron processor with 500 Gig bandwidth per month.

I mean if I could do it I would bet that 90% of those who post on this forum would manage fine.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    Last edited by ringo47; Fri 2 Apr '04, 6:44pm.

Leave a comment:

• michaelab
    replied
    Originally posted by ringo47
    The good news is that I should have gone with a root server to begin with but didn't think I had time or expertise to do so. In hindsight I got the root server up in a third of the time spent finding out that I couldn't use VB3 on the managed server.... such as life...
    I'm considering switching to a root server, if only to get past the ridiculously low 100Mb database limit on shared hosting that 1&1 have. However, like you I'm not sure if I have the time or expertise to do it. What's involved?

I have a fair bit of Unix knowledge but feel that managing an entire server something of a daunting prospect . Do they install Apache and MySQL etc or do you really start from scratch and have to do everything yourself?

Given the number of people having problems with vb 3.0 I'm going to wait a good long while before upgrading. I think I'll wait until the next release at least.

Michael.

Leave a comment:

• ringo47
    replied
    Michael,

I wished someone would have warned me in advance.

Between not having the 2.x.x users manual available (it was a victim of the VB3 "Gold rush") and then spending too many hours trying to figure out why my upgrade kept getting stuck. Again didn't know whether I had problems because I was changing servers with 2.3.4 and then upgrading to VB 3, had no manual to refer to.

And then having to deal with 1AND1 tech-support telling me that XML was working just fine (XML was but PHP parsing XML was not).

I know this is all part of the "fun" of it all but after 30 plus years of fun I'm due for some less fun and more productive use of my time.

The good news is that I should have gone with a root server to begin with but didn't think I had time or expertise to do so. In hindsight I got the root server up in a third of the time spent finding out that I couldn't use VB3 on the managed server.... such as life...

Leave a comment:

• Pogo
    replied
    Perhaps you can try to delete the Control Panel Help Text phrases from the vbulletin-language.xml before upgrading.

Delete everything from line 5202 - 9222

5199: <phrase name="settinggroup_version"><![CDATA[Version Info and Other Untouchables]]></phrase>
    5200: </phrasetype>
    5201:
    5202: <phrasetype name="Control Panel Help Text" fieldname="cphelptext">
    9221: <phrase name="usertools_title"><![CDATA[About User Tools]]></phrase>
    9222: </phrasetype>

9223:
    9224: <phrasetype name="FAQ Title" fieldname="faqtitle">
    If you are lucky it might work then.
    I remember someone telling me that downsizing the language xml helped. And by deleting the control panel help text phrases you nearly cut in in half.

Leave a comment:

• michaelab
    replied
    I'm also with 1&1 (the UK arm, oneandone.co.uk) and looking at my phpinfo I also don't have --with-xml (allthough in the XML section it says "XML Support: active", just as it does on ringo47's phpinfo).

I'm on a shared server with 1&1 so they are highly unlikely to change this. Looks like I won't be moving to vb3.0 for the forseeable future.

I believe there are quite a significant number of people here hosting their boards on 1&1 and unless they're running dedicated root servers which they have total control over then they're all likely to encounter the same problem.

It might be worth a sticky or warning to the effect that 1&1 shared and managed hosts are not compatible with vb3.0. It might also be worth someone from the vB team having a "quiet word" with them

Michael.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X