Extensive Information on External.php

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extensive Information on External.php

This thread is to gain more information about External.php since basically nil info is given in the documentation. Frankly, we are not told what it does and what it cannot do. All that is covered is how to turn it on and off - we aren't even shown how to use it except to access the latest threads. So here are my questions:

1. Can external.php be used for calling in templates?
    2. Can external.php be used for displaying anything other than latest threads?
    3. What's the syntax for pulling anything from external.php?
    4. Are there any features of external.php that we are unaware of?
    5. Why is the documentation so skimpy (You don't need to answer that )
    6. Are there any plans to fully document external.php?

Thank you for any light you may shed on this . Please forgive me if all this information is contained somewhere that I am too stupid to look and I am being indignant for no reason.

I agree, I'd like to know more about this. I've got it set to just display the thread title, (got it to omit the poster and time) but.. it'd be nice to have it move them up to the top when a new message is posted in the topic, as well as a number of other things that would be great..

Like if a new message was posted in an old topic, have it move in and bump out the oldest of the topics in the list. As it sits, a topic can be pretty old but still on the list where an old topic might not be on the list but is more active than those on the list.. I know this is probably a hack and should be posted at the .org site... but.. can't hurt to ask..

One-Take

Comment

Originally posted by mafo0
      1. Can external.php be used for calling in templates?
      No...
      2. Can external.php be used for displaying anything other than latest threads?
      No...
      3. What's the syntax for pulling anything from external.php?
      Either an RSS feed of the latest threads or a javascript array containing information about the latest threads.
      http://www.yourdomain.com/forumpath/...l.php?type=rss

http://www.yourdomain.com/forumpath/external.php?type=js
      4. Are there any features of external.php that we are unaware of?
      Not sure. What are you aware of?
      5. Why is the documentation so skimpy (You don't need to answer that )
      The documentation currently is focused on the Admin Control Panel. Since External PHP is not part of the Admin Control Panel, it hasn't been documented yet.
      6. Are there any plans to fully document external.php?
      Not sure what further documentation you want. It provides a list of the latest threads from a forum or forums specified in the call to it. All of what it does is contained in several threads within these forums. Further documentation may be possible but I think you over estimate what this file is supposed to do in the first place.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73540
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 29 Mar '04, 7:12pm.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Further documentation may be possible but I think you over estimate what this file is supposed to do in the first place.
        Maybe I overestimated it because we're never truly told WHAT it does in the documentation.

Comment

It gives a you RSS feed, this is a standard meanwhile and is seen on many websites, news sites primarily.

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...UTF-8&hl=de&lr=

What I mean: It's not Jelsoft's job to extensively tell you what a RSS feed is.
          www.MCSEboard.de
          German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

Thanks clearing that up, Wayne!

Now I don't have to search anymore for this!

Comment

What I mean: It's not Jelsoft's job to extensively tell you what a RSS feed is.
              It's still Jelsoft's job to tell us what it can syndicate (post content? members? pms? you get the point) and how to access different features within it. For example, Wayne did not say in this thread or in the documentation how to access a certain forum. All this information is within various threads, and the customer should not have to go on a thread easter egg hunt to find out simple variables for a standard script. So yes, it is Jelsoft's job to give us more information.

Comment

Give it a break, the software and the manual is brand new.

If you interested in constructive criticism then post a friendly thread in the suggestion subforum - that's why it's here.
                www.MCSEboard.de
                German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas P
                  Give it a break, the software and the manual is brand new.
                  The software and manual is new - more the reason to provide a complete manual

Comment

Of which there now is (in the 4 1/2 months since this topic was posted).

Here's the External.php entry:
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...group_external

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X