"Search Titles Only" searches also subtitles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Search Titles Only" searches also subtitles

A user of mine noticed today that when selects "Search Titles Only" in the search window the search returns all threads whose thread name or any message title contains the search string. Generally this is an undesired functionality because on my board the threads often span months if not years and may contain hundreds of messages and thus hundreds of titles. This makes Titles Only -search quite useless to search for a particula thread name.

Is this intended feature? And is there any way to turn it off so that the "Search Titles Only" would search the thread titles only like in vB 2.x?
    Come to visit My Galagzee!

I need help with this

I just spent 2hrs skimming through search.php trying to find a place that I could edit to prevent searches on message titles. But not completely (or even nearly ) understanding how the vB3 is built it's tough -- so far I've only managed to produce query errors or broken searches.

Could someone help me out on this? The "Search Titles Only" is nearly useless on my forum at the moment (as described in my previous message in this thread) and I would thus like to restrict searching only to the thread titles. Thanks!

Comment

Searching titles only searches the threads title, there really arnt subtitles...

Comment

Message titles are searched!

Originally posted by Zachery
        Searching titles only searches the threads title, there really arnt subtitles...
        "Search titles only" also appears to search the message titles (such as this message's title "Message titles are searched!") in addition to the thread titles. It's the message titles that I don't want to search. If I understand the search.php code correctly, the functionality to search also the message titles has been intentionally implemented. It'd be cool to add a third option "Search thread titles only" that would exclude the message titles from the search.

Maybe it would be possible to break the message title search (with minimal modifications to search.php) when "titleonly" is specified so that the search would not be able to find any matching post IDs.

The reason for I need this modification is that my board has several threads that been alive for many years and may have several thousand messages, many of which have a message title. When a user then tries to find an existing thread on the topic they're planning to post on, they are presented with gazillion matches, most of which originate from the message titles.
        Last edited by Ville; Thu 25 Mar '04, 10:48am.

Comment

Same Problem

I also need that modification. Many of our threads have thousands of replies. It would be nice to have both "Search Thread Titles Only" and "Search Post Titles Only" options.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X