Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    mindfrost82, it is best to link back to a thread or you are just hijacking a members issues that been resolved so long ago. Just post within link below and you will get your answer.

vBulletin 3.8 Questions, Problems and Troubleshooting
    Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things or how to fix problems in vBulletin 3.8.

Leave a comment:

• mindfrost82
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The names for those template categories come from the phrasing system. Before you start messing with databases check and see if the appropriate phrases are in the system.

They are:

group_buddy_list
    group_calendar
    group_faq
    group_user_reputation
    group_poll
    group_private_message
    group_registration
    group_search
    group_user_control_panel
    group_user_note
    group_whos_online
    group_show_groups
    group_post_icon
    group_user_profile_field
    group_bb_code_layout
    group_help
    group_editor
    group_forum_display
    group_forum_home
    group_page_navigation
    group_postbit
    group_threadbit
    group_instant_messaging
    group_member_info
    group_members_list
    group_modify_user_option
    group_new_posting
    group_show_thread
    group_smilie_popup
    group_subscribed_thread
    group_who_posted
    group_thread_administration
    group_php_include_code
    group_navigation_breadcrumb
    group_printable_thread
    group_attachment_list
    group_paid_subscriptions

You can find them by searching for the titles above in the Language system.
    I know this is a really old thread, but I have the exact same problem using 3.8.3. I'm not sure when this started, I just noticed it today.

When searching for the above files, it looks like they all exist in the phrases, but the group titles are all still showing "templates" instead of the title.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    aye caramba are you serious? I tried uploading the language-english.xml file using the built in vb tool in admincp, and it didn't work (see post above).

Welp, there's another method folks, that is easier than what i posted above. voila.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by phenomenon
    How about this: drop table phrases from restored database

dump phrases table from fresh db into textfile

insert contents of text file into restored db

that should work no?
    Be easier just to reimport the XML file for the languages using tools.php in the extras folder.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    OK THIS WORKED!

For Reference, if anyone else runs into the same problem and is not a SQL/PHP type person, AND REALIZES THIS WILL REMOVE REFERENCE TO ANY MODDED TEMPLATES AND REPLACE TEMPLATES WITH ORIGINAL TEMPLATES (or at least their names):
    1. go to yoursite.com's PhpMyAdmin and create a new database called "forumfresh"
    2. Download your config.php and rename it configFinal.php
    3. Make a copy of it and rename it config.php
    4. replace config.php line 37
      Code:
      $dbname = '[b]forumDBname[/b]';"
      with
      Code:
      $dbname = 'forumfresh';
    5. upload config.php to your includes/ folder and replace current config.php
    6. re-upload install folder to your forum folder
    7. re-install your forum. This will create a new database into forumfresh
    8. login to your PhpMyAdmin
    9. select forumfresh
    10. select the table 'phrase' from the left menu (not the main page)
    11. Look for the "View dump (schema) of table (this may change depending on your version of PhpMyAdmin). Select "Structure and data", check Send and Complete inserts, and make sure terminated by is a ;
    12. click go. This will ask you if you want to download a phrase.sql file. download it.
    13. upload phrase.sql to the root level of your server
    14. login using ssh
    15. type
      Code:
      /path/to/mysql/mysql -u [b]username[/b] -p [b]forumDBname[/b] / phrase.sql
    16. exit ssh
    17. log back into PhpMyAdmin and drop 'forumfresh'
    18. rename your configFinal.php to config.php
    19. upload config.php to forum/includes/ and overwrite config.php
    20. you may have to re-log in, then rebuild the language file
    21. delete install.php from forum/install

Ok, that should do it.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    How about this: drop table phrases from restored database

dump phrases table from fresh db into textfile

insert contents of text file into restored db

that should work no?

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Ok, this may be a bug:

I am switching back and forth between two databases, one vb3 forum install. I have two config files -- one that refers to the restored database "forum", one that refers to a freshly installed database "tempforum". I essentially am renaming the config files. Because I'm not editing any templates or any vb files, this should work, and it seems to be. (I'm writing this in case it's very bad or could be contributing to problems)

Ok. That said, I switch to the fresh install of the database. I have all the group_ phrases. So I go to download English (US). It downloads fine.

Then I switch my config to refer to the restored database, and re-log in. I go to Languages - download/upload.

I enter "Upload the language file from your browser", browse to the file and find it fine.

then I select "Overwrite Language" -- English (US)

I leave the naming blank so it uses default from file. I've tried with both ignore version set to yes and no.

When I click to import, I get the following error:

Invalid or empty Language file specified

Is this because the language file was unmodified?

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Ah HA!

Ok, none of those exist -- did a search of group_ in phrase and variable name. Nothing like the above list exists. Would it be possible to install a fresh copy of vb3 into a new database, download the phrases that i know work from there, and upload them into my restored db?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The names for those template categories come from the phrasing system. Before you start messing with databases check and see if the appropriate phrases are in the system.

They are:

group_buddy_list
    group_calendar
    group_faq
    group_user_reputation
    group_poll
    group_private_message
    group_registration
    group_search
    group_user_control_panel
    group_user_note
    group_whos_online
    group_show_groups
    group_post_icon
    group_user_profile_field
    group_bb_code_layout
    group_help
    group_editor
    group_forum_display
    group_forum_home
    group_page_navigation
    group_postbit
    group_threadbit
    group_instant_messaging
    group_member_info
    group_members_list
    group_modify_user_option
    group_new_posting
    group_show_thread
    group_smilie_popup
    group_subscribed_thread
    group_who_posted
    group_thread_administration
    group_php_include_code
    group_navigation_breadcrumb
    group_printable_thread
    group_attachment_list
    group_paid_subscriptions

You can find them by searching for the titles above in the Language system.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Ok, confirmed it's the database. SHAZBOT. Just dumped the restore, installed vbulletin fresh, and templates showed up fine. Dumped that, re-restored, and template names are missing.

*sigh* *whimper*

So the next question: is it possible to restore my database,
    Then drop the template info that isn't working right,
    Then edit the vb3 install so that it inserts the correct info?

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Ok. I've just totally deleted the upgraded/modded forum install.

I downloaded a new copy from the member's area.

I edited the config, and deleted install.php

I uploaded the new forum.

I did NOT mess with upgrade.php (should I?)

I went into admincp and the template names are all screwy.

My next step, now that there is a totally clean forum install, is to go dump the database, and try this with a totally new database install.

After that, I will dump that database, restore my backup, and try again. (which I've done)

Any other suggestions or troubleshooting anyone can think of?

I'm understanding you now Steve. My feeling is that my restore does not contain the information for the template names.
    Last edited by phenomenon; Tue 23 Mar '04, 10:51am. Reason: just read Steve's post. We must have posted at same time.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    The template names come from the database. If you restored the original database that did not include this info, then I really don't see how this could be happening. I could be misunderstaning what you have done though.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Hmmm..I don't see how that's possible. If the db backup did not contain these things then neither would the restored backup.
    Hate to be a moron, but I think it's hereditary. When you say, "these things", what do you mean? I'm guessing you mean that the template category names are not stored in the database, but are stored in the administrator_templates.php file? So that it wouldn't matter whether I have a brand new database or a restored one, the problem isn't there?

I'm uploading a fresh clean install to try out with the restored database right now. This may just be a PEBCAK error: Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• phenomenon
    replied
    Yes it does. However, I uninstalled the changes to the database that vBadvanced required, then completely deleted the vb3 files from the server, then uploaded a new, fresh copy. I still had that problem.

Now, I'm beginning to wonder however if I didn't forget to clear my cache. Safari on OS X is buggy as far as the cache -- even after 'clearing' I sometimes see cached items.

Tell ya what, I'm going to do it again, from work, and check from a couple diff browsers. If it persists, I'll post back here. Heck, if it doesn't I'll post back as well, and we can just close this.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Hmmm..I don't see how that's possible. If the db backup did not contain these things then neither would the restored backup.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X