Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I eliminate the Call-Home functions of vB 3.0?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I eliminate the Call-Home functions of vB 3.0?

Hi! For reasons of performance, security, and personal preference - I would like to eliminate *all* of the Call Home functions of vB 3.0.

What do I need to do in order to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Originally posted by Ocean
    Hi! For reasons of performance, security, and personal preference - I would like to eliminate *all* of the Call Home functions of vB 3.0.

What do I need to do in order to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    You can do that as you can modify the source in any way you wish, but I severely doubt you'll get any support on how to do so.

Comment

To ask about modifying any source code please ask at vBulletin.org

Comment

Will do! Thanks!
        echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

The callhome functions actually improve security, and have NO effect on performance (except for the initial loading of the Admin CP page).

The main reason people would want the call-home disabled is so they can make illegitimate use of vBulletin (ie. share it, use it on multiple sites with only one license, etc.) - I'm not saying that those are your reasons for this desire, but I personally see no value to the reasons you've given, and with the call-home generally being removed for pirating purposes, you'll have to understand my suspicious attitude here.

Ahwell, just my 0.0162640 EUR

Comment

Faruk, I understand perfectly. For me, however, I simply detest Call Home functions on sheer principle. Many people do. Why do you think Microsoft was screamed at by the Privacy Groups for their Product Activation "feature"? It's because many people feel that their privacy is their right.

As to the issue of Piracy, any staff member here can see that I am a legitimate owner - so that should no longer be an issue.

The biggest concern I can see is that the Staff might not want that information to be public - which is fine by me. If that's the case, they can email me the information, rather than posting it.

Everybody wins, and there's no problem.
            echo $ocean_signature;

;)

Comment

As to the issue of Piracy, any staff member here can see that I am a legitimate owner - so that should no longer be an issue.
              Except that once it's removed you could quietly redistribute it to all your friends, place it on multiple systems, etc all for piracy. I'm by no means saying this is the case for you, simply saying that's why it's there in the first place.
              TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X