X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOGLE ADSENSE and session hash problem

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rylin
    Do you have the sessionhash in your url or is it stored in a cookie?
    If you get the sessionhash in the url, you need to change so you get it in a cookie (it's a user control panel setting).
    As long as you and google see the same url, you shouldn't have a problem.

Hi I have vBulletin 3 RC4

I have a few questions about session hash.

From what I understand, google does not see session hash in VB 3 RC1/2/3. Is this statement correct?

If this is true, then we must make sure that users/members do not see session hash as well, to make sure they are on the same page with google to get google to count the clicks correctly for ADSENSE. Is this true?

How do I do that, I have seen your code on session hash. How do I use it for VB 3 RC4? I saw that some people talked about turning cookies in session "on" in the USER CP. But i do not see such an option in the USER CP or ADMIN CP? How do i change it?

Please help me here.

No body knows?

Comment

In vB3 if the sessionhash is not needed, its not show at all

So if a user is logged in VIA a cookie, or if it is a spider, they will not see a session hash

they might see a session hash on redirects or some times if they are changing their user options.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        In vB3 if the sessionhash is not needed, its not show at all

So if a user is logged in VIA a cookie, or if it is a spider, they will not see a session hash

they might see a session hash on redirects or some times if they are changing their user options.
        So are you saying that guests will not see a session hash?

Comment

Originally posted by projectpilot
          Yup. I'm using AdSense and since vb3 it has been caching perfectly. It's ignoring the session hashes since googlebots accept cookies. The users who do not accept cookies, and thus get session hashes, are not affected in any way and their clicks still count. The only problem is that you have a higher chance that they'll get charity banners but actually I think that nowadays they get the same banners as those without session hashes.

Comment

Guests might, but not spiders that are identifyed, google is one that will be identifed and the session hash droped.

Comment

No one will see a sessionhash unless they have their browser set to not allow cookies. While this was a user setting in vB2, it is automatic based on the browser settings in vB3. All session hashes are suppressed for spiders.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

The session hash does not affect how the Adsense clicks will be counted. The problem occurs when Google doesn't recognise the URL. When this happens charity ads are displayed, which don't pay anything.
                MODern ENGINEuity
                Modular Powered Community

Automotive Books, Movies, Games and More!

Comment

Originally posted by Ogmuk
                  Yup. I'm using AdSense and since vb3 it has been caching perfectly. It's ignoring the session hashes since googlebots accept cookies. The users who do not accept cookies, and thus get session hashes, are not affected in any way and their clicks still count. The only problem is that you have a higher chance that they'll get charity banners but actually I think that nowadays they get the same banners as those without session hashes.
                  I understand now. So you think google is delivering the ads (most of the times correctly) and also counting the clicks from members and guests correctly?

If not, you have any suggestion as to how this situation can be improved?

Comment

I understand now. So you think google is delivering the ads (most of the times correctly) and also counting the clicks from members and guests correctly?

If not, you have any suggestion as to how this situation can be improved?
                    Yes, it's counting correctly. Hashes won't affect the counting in any way, even if you would disallow the googlebot access entirely via robots.txt this will only affect the bot's caching ability.

However, when you're looking at your account it won't show the click for quite a while but Google wants it that way. You will notice that it has problems finding keywords and after serving a lot of banners related to the keyword "vbulletin" it will mostly show charity/non-profit banners.

What you can do is create a php file and insert that to the php include template. Let it pull random keywords from a database and add them to the page at the top and bottom. This has been working great for me.

Keep in mind that if you're using a country specific domain that you'll be shown different banners than .com, .net, etc. If you're worried about too much charity showing then view your page through some .com proxy and you'll see the difference.
                    Last edited by Ogmuk; Tue 16 Mar '04, 1:07pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogmuk
                      Yes, it's counting correctly. Hashes won't affect the counting in any way, even if you would disallow the googlebot access entirely via robots.txt this will only affect the bot's caching ability.

However, when you're looking at your account it won't show the click for quite a while but Google wants it that way. You will notice that it has problems finding keywords and after serving a lot of banners related to the keyword "vbulletin" it will mostly show charity/non-profit banners.

What you can do is create a php file and insert that to the php include template. Let it pull random keywords from a database and add them to the page at the top and bottom. This has been working great for me.

Keep in mind that if you're using a country specific domain that you'll be shown different banners than .com, .net, etc. If you're worried about too much charity showing then view your page through some .com proxy and you'll see the difference.

You are entirely incorrect.

Any URL that google has never seen before will not get the ads until google crawls it. So if a user has sessionhass in their query string, there is very little possiblity that google has seen that exact url before.

Dont take my word for it

Originally posted by Google
                      Your website is using session ID's in the URL.
                      If your web pages use session ID's, you may not receive targeted ads on those pages. Since this session ID – and therefore the URL - changes every time a different user views a page, the URL will not be in the index and will be queued to be crawled. Once the URL is crawled, however, the session will most likely have expired. This means that pages seen by the users are never in the index. You will need to remove the session ID's in order to display targeted ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Zecherieh
                        You are entirely incorrect.
                        What's incorrect? The part you quoted was about hashes affecting Google's click count ability which is definitely not possible. Whether hashes affect relevant or non relevant ads wasn't discussed in the post you quoted.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X