Database trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database trouble

I recently had my database erased accidentally by my providers DOH! I then had a nightmare trying to restore my (rather out of date) back up, eventually, after re-installing VB, I ftp'd the 'vbulletin.sql' file (which I had downloaded to my pc using the vbulletin 'back up database' feature) to my server, and my provider then restored this to the database.
    Now, when I log on to the forum, the forum home page looks fairly normal (accepting the date of last post is rather old, due to out of date back-up), but there are no members except me (there where about 200) and although there are 8600 posts, there are no threads!
    If I start a new thread, the post gets put at the end of some other posts that appear, but everything is jumbled up. It's like all the posts are there in the store room, but someone crept in and removed all the address lables while the concierge was looking after them!

I'm at my whitts end, please help.

Jon Fuller

It is possible your backup is imcomplete. The backup feature in the Admin CP is subject to PHP's maximum execution time... if the backup takes longer than the maximum time allowed then the backup will be incomplete. The recommended backup method is the mysqldump command via telnet / SSH.

If I look at your database in phpmyadmin I can tell you if it's complete or not. Send me a private message with a FTP login for your server and I will take a look.

Comment

Yep, it looks like you are missing some records. The two important tables that are missing records are your user and thread tables. When I look at your post table I see lots of posts that are linked to user and thread ids that do not exist in your user and thread tables.

The only way to get these records back is to restore a complete backup of your database. If you don't have a complete backup then you should ask your host if they possibly have a backup laying around.

Comment

Thanks very much Jake, much apreciated.

Jon Fuller

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X