Problem installing vB2 (new user)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing vB2 (new user)

I have just purchased vB and already can't seem to figure out how to install it. Even the very first instruction was not too clear:

Unzip the files from the ZIP archive, ensuring that you maintain the directory structure.
    Perhaps I'm dense, but how am I supposed to do that? Doesn't the directory structure really depend on which directory you're in when you unzip the file? Also why doesn't the vbulletin2.zip file respond to 'gunzip'? Here's what I get when I try:

bash:~/public_html$ gunzip vbulletin2.zip
    gunzip: vbulletin2.zip: unknown suffix -- ignored
    Last edited by Steve Machol; Fri 23 Feb '01, 5:15pm.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

just use winzip and it will unzip with out a problem

Comment

Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm used to (and much prefer) working from a Unix/Linux command line. I'd rather not have to deal with Windows if I can avoid it.

Why can't this file be unzipped with gunzip?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I hate to say this, but vB is a good deal more difficult to install than UBB ever was!

First of all, the installation instructions are very difficult to understand or follow. Secondly, they make reference to files that don't exist in the vB 2.0 distribution (config.php is not there although config.php.new is.)

And finally I try to run the install.php script (actually install1.php) and get this error message:

Warning: Failed opening '/home/smachol/public_html/vb/admin/install1.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
        What the heck am I supposed to do know?

(Be gentle with me - I know absolutely nothing about PHP and even less about mySQL.)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You have to remember, you are installing a beta. If you want the tried and tested install 1.1.5. The documentation included is geared more towards current users that are already familiar with vB.
          Off-Road Forum

Comment

Sorry but I have no interest in installing 1.1.5 when 2.0 is just around the corner.

Can someone please offer some help and advice on the error message I'm getting? I'm completely dead in the water right now and have no idea how to install this software.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I would be no help to you as I probably know even less than you and I have not gotten 2.0 to install or upgrade either. I am just sitting tight.
              Off-Road Forum

Comment

try gzip -d that should decompress the zip.

does vb/admin/install1.php exist?

Comment

doron,

Thanks but gzip did not work. I finally unzipped them onto my home computer, ssh'd into the shell and used zmodem to upload the files.

Yes, install1.php does exist. However here's what happens after I try to run this:

vBulletin Install Script

(Note: Please be patient as some parts of this may take quite some time.)

Welcome to vBulletin version . Running this script will do a clean install of vBulletin onto your server.

Next step -->
                  The script hangs at this point. (I waited two hours which I thought was patient enough!)

Hasn't anyone put together better installation instructions than what is available in the Members Area?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I don't think a completed&good installation/upgrade instructions will come out until it is a final.

Comment

Originally posted by klisis
                      I don't think a completed&good installation/upgrade instructions will come out until it is a final.
                      Fair enough. However the instructions as they stand now are not very good - particularly to someone who has no experience with PHP and mySQL. For instance they don't mention anything about file permissions. I can't believe that file permissions are simply not relevant. For instance, would vB run if all the files were set to 400 or 000?

Also, I followed the installation instructions for 2.0 that were posted in one of the announcements. I'm still stuck. <sigh>

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I simply didn't bother with CHMODs since the instructions never mentioned of CHMOD.

I followed instructions and got stuck also, played around a little bit, finally got it worked.

Comment

did you click the

Next ----> ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flare945
                            did you click the

Next ----> ?
                            DOH!!!! Ok, now I feel stupid!

Unfortunately clicking on this and the next one only brings up a new error:

vBulletin Install Script

(Note: Please be patient as some parts of this may take quite some time.)

Attempting to attach to database...

Warning: Host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server in /home/smachol/public_html/vb/admin/db_mysql.php on line 37

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/smachol/public_html/vb/admin/db_mysql.php on line 46

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please go back to the last step and ensure that you have entered all your login details correctly.

Click to go to the vBulletin website
                            This is where I am now. It's obvious I don't know how to fill in the necessary information in the config.php file. Unfortunately the vBulletin installation instructions are not too helpful in doing this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Got it fixed! I had changed 'localhost' config.php to my domain. Once I switched it back to localhost and chmod'd the files to 755 everything worked fine!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X