Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are other boards having log in and posting problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pierguy
    replied
    I've had several users have the same problem on my site. They are across a range of browsers and isp's, although they all seem to be Windows users.

I tell them to delete their cookies from my site and log back in again and that usually fixes the problem. A bit of a headache at times but trust me, you won't find a better BB program than this one. I haven't heard of the problem in 3.x, so once that program is fully ready for prime time you and I both can upgrade and it'll be over.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Any other reported login problem have all been related to the same issues already mentioned, something on the user end interfering with cookies. This could be firewalls, browser settings, ad-blockers, pop-up blockers, company or ISP proxy servers, etc.

However perhaps we've been looking at this the wrong way. I've been trying to help resolve the underlying cookie issue and have been unable to get my points across in a way that is understood.

Let's try a different tact. Instead of trying to fix the cookie problem, let's set these users accounts to use sessions instead of cookies. To do this open their user profiles in the Admin CP and set both these options to 'No':

- Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
    - Browse the board with cookies

Let's see if this make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Steve

The members that have problems posting on my board do NOT have firewall software running. I have triple checked with them about this. I first asked them to lower their security settings since I thought that was what you meant. I then emailed them three times asking whether they used firewall software. They had someone experienced check and NO they do not run firewall software.

Everytime I have asked for help with this problem the answer has been that my members should delete their temporary internet files. What else can I presume but that this is the only way they can post?

Interestingly enough after doing a search on this community board last night I realized I am not the only person with a VBulletin board that has run into this problem with members suddenly not being able to post.

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    Just so people don't get the wrong idea, no one from Jelsoft ever told you that people need to delete temporary internet files whenever they want to post something. That would indeed be 'silly'. It was one suggestion to see if it would clear up the problem. I also pointed out many times that one of the major things to check was the firewall software running on these computers. Firewalls and any other software that filters internet traffic can cause problems like this.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Widebertha
    I also think it is silly to expect members to delete tempoary internet files whenever they want to post. Not everyone is comfortable messing with files on their computers.
    Just so people don't get the wrong idea, no one from Jelsoft ever told you that people need to delete temporary internet files whenever they want to post something. That would indeed be 'silly'. It was one suggestion to see if it would clear up the problem. I also pointed out many times that one of the major things to check was the firewall software running on these computers. Firewalls and any other software that filters internet traffic can cause problems like this.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Falgirl

Hi Falgirl,

Thank you for your post. It appears I am not the only one with this problem. In fact, when I did a search last night on this Community Forum I found quite a number of posts describing the same problem I am having.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will ask my members if they are using Zone Alarm.

I agree with you that this problem should not be happening. My members having problems with my board do not have problems with other message boards that they post on. I also think it is silly to expect members to delete tempoary internet files whenever they want to post. Not everyone is comfortable messing with files on their computers. Furthermore, I have posted on other boards (not VBulletin) and I have never had to delete temporary internet files in order to post.

Again thank you for your suggestion.

Widebertha

Originally posted by FALGirl
    Check to see if the users who are having problems have Zone Alarm or another similar firewall type application running.

I have been plagued by this problem on one of my boards that I used VB 3.x on and the same users have NO issues on my old 2.x board. We finally figured out that several of the users having problems were running Zone Alarm and that turning Zone Alarm off let them login, post etc.. everything they hadn't been able to do previously.

I do not know what is causing this, but there should not be cases where users can log into a vb 2.x board without problems and yet can't stay logged in on vb 3.x just because they're running ZA (with cookie acceptance on and all that).

I also don't know if this is what is affecting all of my users who are having problems. We just figured out the Zone Alarm issue yesterday, but so far everyone who's had problems has reported that they were using Zone Alarm and can now log in with Zone Alarm off.

Leave a comment:

• FALGirl
    replied
    Check to see if the users who are having problems have Zone Alarm or another similar firewall type application running.

I have been plagued by this problem on one of my boards that I used VB 3.x on and the same users have NO issues on my old 2.x board. We finally figured out that several of the users having problems were running Zone Alarm and that turning Zone Alarm off let them login, post etc.. everything they hadn't been able to do previously.

I do not know what is causing this, but there should not be cases where users can log into a vb 2.x board without problems and yet can't stay logged in on vb 3.x just because they're running ZA (with cookie acceptance on and all that).

I also don't know if this is what is affecting all of my users who are having problems. We just figured out the Zone Alarm issue yesterday, but so far everyone who's had problems has reported that they were using Zone Alarm and can now log in with Zone Alarm off.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Widebertha

I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?

I use Yahoo.com

Yahoo.com isn't a browser. Given this I'm not sure they would know if they are accessing from behind a proxy or not.

THIS WAS MY ERROR. SHE USES INTERNET EXPLORER and I DO KNOW WHAT A BROWSER IS.

You also said:

Quote:

The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post.

Which doesn't quite match this:

WHY DOES THE ANSWER ABOVE NOT MATCH THE ANSWER BELOW? THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS THAT THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO POST ANDNOW CANNOT POST.

Quote:

I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post.

From what you've said they are running some firewalls and/or other software that filters Internet traffic, and that sometimes they are able to post. Sorry to say this but all of this confirms that the problem is on their end.

I TOLD THEM TO LOWER THEIR SECURITY SETTINGS UNDER INTERNET OPTIONS AND THEY DID. I THOUGHT THAT IS WHAT YOU MEANT. IF YOU LOOK AT THE ANSWERS THEY GAVE TO THE FOUR QUESTIONS YOU ASKED YOU WILL SEE THAT THEY DO NOT USE A FIREWALL OR ANTIVIRUS SCRIPT/COOKIE BLOCKING.

I wish I knew a magic bullet that would fix this for you, but unfortunately I don't.
    Yesterday 8:59pm

[/size]
    Yahoo.com isn't a browser. Given this I'm not sure they would know if they are accessing from behind a proxy or not.

You also said:

From what you've said they are running some firewalls and/or other software that filters Internet traffic, and that sometimes they are able to post. Sorry to say this but all of this confirms that the problem is on their end.

I wish I knew a magic bullet that would fix this for you, but unfortunately I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Steve

Another member just answered these questions:

1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?
    I use Internet Explorer

2. Have they tried using different browsers?
    No

3. What ISPs are they using?
    netvision.il

4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?
    No

I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

I use Yahoo.com

I guess not. (it worked before with this browser)

charter.net

NO.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied

I use Yahoo.com

You also said:

The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post.

I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Steve

I use Yahoo.com

I guess not. (it worked before with this browser)

charter.net

NO.

Unfortunately both Cary and I have checked your forums - several times each in fact. And neither of us is able to reproduce any problems that your users are having. We have both been able to login and post again and again using the same accounts of the people that are having this problem.

I am sure your users problem are real, but since we cannot duplicate these problems using these same accounts, than there really isn't much more we can do. The bottom line is that we can use these acounts with no problems. Given this it stands to reason that the differences are on the users' end.

I know I've asked this before but let me try again.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Floris

Hi Floris,

None of the users having problems are using AOL. One user is using netvision.il and another user is using charter.net.

The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post. Both of these users have done everything that Vbulletin support suggested they do which includes deleting temporary internet files.

I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post. Since they were able to post two days ago and last week, I wonder if lowering the blocking would make a difference.

Thank you for your suggestions. I would appreciate any thing else that you could suggest to eliminate this problem.

Thank you
    Widebertha

Originally posted by floris
    Can you ask a few users who have these issues to tell you which Internet Service Provider they have? (like AOL) and request them to use an alternative browser, like Mozilla or Opera or FireFox? And can you request them to lower their firewall or antivirus script/cookie blocking for a moment to see if all that has any effect?

Users who have AOL have issues because AOL has issues with processing the vbulletin version 2 session hash. So if you have a lot of AOL members, that might explain it. Switching them from the aol browser to a stand alone mozilla or firefox might do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I have been told over and over again that this has nothing to do with VBulletin and that the problem is due to something the member is doing. .....

I would like Vbulletin to check and see if I have made an error when I set up this board that causes these intermittent posting problems.
    Unfortunately both Cary and I have checked your forums - several times each in fact. And neither of us is able to reproduce any problems that your users are having. We have both been able to login and post again and again using the same accounts of the people that are having this problem.

I am sure your users problem are real, but since we cannot duplicate these problems using these same accounts, than there really isn't much more we can do. The bottom line is that we can use these acounts with no problems. Given this it stands to reason that the differences are on the users' end.

I know I've asked this before but let me try again.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Can you ask a few users who have these issues to tell you which Internet Service Provider they have? (like AOL) and request them to use an alternative browser, like Mozilla or Opera or FireFox? And can you request them to lower their firewall or antivirus script/cookie blocking for a moment to see if all that has any effect?

Users who have AOL have issues because AOL has issues with processing the vbulletin version 2 session hash. So if you have a lot of AOL members, that might explain it. Switching them from the aol browser to a stand alone mozilla or firefox might do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Widebertha
    replied
    Reply to Floris

Hi,

My cookie time out is set at 900. The cookie domain has been left blank and the path is /. I have not installed hacks.

Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    Widebertha

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    What is your cookie domain and path and timeout set to?
    Do you have any hacks installed, and if so, which ones?

The default cookie timeout is 900 seconds.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X