Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are other boards having log in and posting problems?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are other boards having log in and posting problems?

    This problem with member logins is getting to be very annoying. I realize that I probably will never get this problem solved and that I will have to start searching for a message board that is more user friendly. This of course means that the important information on this message board will be lost and that I will have wasted my money. Not a pleasant option. I am upset and I really would like some answers. I would like this message board to work since it is a support forum for autoimmune diseases.



    This morning several members are unable to post again. These members have all been able to post before. When they tried to post today it appeared as if they were logged in so they wrote out their post. When they clicked submit their post disappeared and they got a message saying that they were not authorized to post. I have gone so far as to delete the members having these problems so that they can re-register. The same problem occurs again.



    I have been told over and over again that this has nothing to do with VBulletin and that the problem is due to something the member is doing. Each of these members has deleted their temporary internet files like Vbulletin support advised. I have checked the User CP of each of these members and they have enabled browsing with cookies etc. like Vbulletin support advised. I cannot see how the problem can be a setting on their computers when they have been able to post on this board in the past. These members all belong to other message boards and they have never run into this kind of problem before.



    I would like Vbulletin to check and see if I have made an error when I set up this board that causes these intermittent posting problems. You have all the particulars on my board; I have sent them quite a number of times. I would also like to hear from other members that have experienced this problem and how they solved it.



    Do members of other boards have to delete their temporary internet files and cookies each time they want to post?



    Do members of other boards suddenly have problems not being able to post after they have been successful at posting?



    What is the recommended "cookie timeout'?

    Widebertha
















  • #2
    What is your cookie domain and path and timeout set to?
    Do you have any hacks installed, and if so, which ones?

    The default cookie timeout is 900 seconds.

    Comment


    • #3
      Reply to Floris

      Hi,

      My cookie time out is set at 900. The cookie domain has been left blank and the path is /. I have not installed hacks.

      Any suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.

      Thank you
      Widebertha

      Comment


      • #4
        Can you ask a few users who have these issues to tell you which Internet Service Provider they have? (like AOL) and request them to use an alternative browser, like Mozilla or Opera or FireFox? And can you request them to lower their firewall or antivirus script/cookie blocking for a moment to see if all that has any effect?

        Users who have AOL have issues because AOL has issues with processing the vbulletin version 2 session hash. So if you have a lot of AOL members, that might explain it. Switching them from the aol browser to a stand alone mozilla or firefox might do the trick.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Widebertha
          I have been told over and over again that this has nothing to do with VBulletin and that the problem is due to something the member is doing. .....

          I would like Vbulletin to check and see if I have made an error when I set up this board that causes these intermittent posting problems.
          Unfortunately both Cary and I have checked your forums - several times each in fact. And neither of us is able to reproduce any problems that your users are having. We have both been able to login and post again and again using the same accounts of the people that are having this problem.

          I am sure your users problem are real, but since we cannot duplicate these problems using these same accounts, than there really isn't much more we can do. The bottom line is that we can use these acounts with no problems. Given this it stands to reason that the differences are on the users' end.

          I know I've asked this before but let me try again.

          1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?
          2. Have they tried using different browsers?
          3. What ISPs are they using?
          4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

          Steve Machol Photography


          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


          Comment


          • #6
            Reply to Floris

            Hi Floris,

            None of the users having problems are using AOL. One user is using netvision.il and another user is using charter.net.

            The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post. Both of these users have done everything that Vbulletin support suggested they do which includes deleting temporary internet files.

            I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post. Since they were able to post two days ago and last week, I wonder if lowering the blocking would make a difference.

            Thank you for your suggestions. I would appreciate any thing else that you could suggest to eliminate this problem.

            Thank you
            Widebertha



            Originally posted by floris
            Can you ask a few users who have these issues to tell you which Internet Service Provider they have? (like AOL) and request them to use an alternative browser, like Mozilla or Opera or FireFox? And can you request them to lower their firewall or antivirus script/cookie blocking for a moment to see if all that has any effect?

            Users who have AOL have issues because AOL has issues with processing the vbulletin version 2 session hash. So if you have a lot of AOL members, that might explain it. Switching them from the aol browser to a stand alone mozilla or firefox might do the trick.

            Comment


            • #7
              Reply to Steve

              I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

              1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?

              I use Yahoo.com

              2. Have they tried using different browsers?

              I guess not. (it worked before with this browser)

              3. What ISPs are they using?

              charter.net

              4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?

              NO.




              Originally posted by Steve Machol
              Unfortunately both Cary and I have checked your forums - several times each in fact. And neither of us is able to reproduce any problems that your users are having. We have both been able to login and post again and again using the same accounts of the people that are having this problem.

              I am sure your users problem are real, but since we cannot duplicate these problems using these same accounts, than there really isn't much more we can do. The bottom line is that we can use these acounts with no problems. Given this it stands to reason that the differences are on the users' end.

              I know I've asked this before but let me try again.

              1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?
              2. Have they tried using different browsers?
              3. What ISPs are they using?
              4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Widebertha
                I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

                1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?

                I use Yahoo.com

                Yahoo.com isn't a browser. Given this I'm not sure they would know if they are accessing from behind a proxy or not.

                You also said:

                Originally posted by Widebertha
                The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post.
                Which doesn't quite match this:

                Originally posted by Widebertha
                I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post.
                From what you've said they are running some firewalls and/or other software that filters Internet traffic, and that sometimes they are able to post. Sorry to say this but all of this confirms that the problem is on their end.

                I wish I knew a magic bullet that would fix this for you, but unfortunately I don't.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                Steve Machol Photography


                Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Reply to Steve

                  Another member just answered these questions:

                  1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?
                  I use Internet Explorer

                  2. Have they tried using different browsers?
                  No

                  3. What ISPs are they using?
                  netvision.il

                  4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?
                  No

                  Originally posted by Widebertha
                  I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

                  1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?

                  I use Yahoo.com

                  2. Have they tried using different browsers?

                  I guess not. (it worked before with this browser)

                  3. What ISPs are they using?

                  charter.net

                  4. Are they accessing the Internet from behind a proxy?

                  NO.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Quote:

                    Originally Posted by Widebertha

                    I have received a reply to your questions from one of the members who cannot post again. These are her answers:

                    1. Have you found out which browsers the affected members are using? If so, what are they?

                    I use Yahoo.com



                    Yahoo.com isn't a browser. Given this I'm not sure they would know if they are accessing from behind a proxy or not.




                    THIS WAS MY ERROR. SHE USES INTERNET EXPLORER and I DO KNOW WHAT A BROWSER IS.

                    You also said:


                    Quote:

                    Originally Posted by Widebertha

                    The person using netvision.il posted a message two days ago without a problem. Today she cannot post. The user using charter.net was able to post last week. This week she cannot post.

                    Which doesn't quite match this:



                    WHY DOES THE ANSWER ABOVE NOT MATCH THE ANSWER BELOW? THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS THAT THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO POST ANDNOW CANNOT POST.

                    Quote:

                    Originally Posted by Widebertha

                    I asked both these users to lower their firewall and antivirus script/cookie blocking. This has made no difference; they still cannot post.

                    From what you've said they are running some firewalls and/or other software that filters Internet traffic, and that sometimes they are able to post. Sorry to say this but all of this confirms that the problem is on their end.



                    I TOLD THEM TO LOWER THEIR SECURITY SETTINGS UNDER INTERNET OPTIONS AND THEY DID. I THOUGHT THAT IS WHAT YOU MEANT. IF YOU LOOK AT THE ANSWERS THEY GAVE TO THE FOUR QUESTIONS YOU ASKED YOU WILL SEE THAT THEY DO NOT USE A FIREWALL OR ANTIVIRUS SCRIPT/COOKIE BLOCKING.

                    I wish I knew a magic bullet that would fix this for you, but unfortunately I don't.
                    Yesterday 8:59pm




                    Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    [/size]
                    Yahoo.com isn't a browser. Given this I'm not sure they would know if they are accessing from behind a proxy or not.

                    You also said:

                    Which doesn't quite match this:

                    From what you've said they are running some firewalls and/or other software that filters Internet traffic, and that sometimes they are able to post. Sorry to say this but all of this confirms that the problem is on their end.

                    I wish I knew a magic bullet that would fix this for you, but unfortunately I don't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Check to see if the users who are having problems have Zone Alarm or another similar firewall type application running.

                      I have been plagued by this problem on one of my boards that I used VB 3.x on and the same users have NO issues on my old 2.x board. We finally figured out that several of the users having problems were running Zone Alarm and that turning Zone Alarm off let them login, post etc.. everything they hadn't been able to do previously.

                      I do not know what is causing this, but there should not be cases where users can log into a vb 2.x board without problems and yet can't stay logged in on vb 3.x just because they're running ZA (with cookie acceptance on and all that).

                      I also don't know if this is what is affecting all of my users who are having problems. We just figured out the Zone Alarm issue yesterday, but so far everyone who's had problems has reported that they were using Zone Alarm and can now log in with Zone Alarm off.
                      If I am inclined to doubt, steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Reply to Falgirl

                        Hi Falgirl,

                        Thank you for your post. It appears I am not the only one with this problem. In fact, when I did a search last night on this Community Forum I found quite a number of posts describing the same problem I am having.

                        Thank you for your suggestion. I will ask my members if they are using Zone Alarm.

                        I agree with you that this problem should not be happening. My members having problems with my board do not have problems with other message boards that they post on. I also think it is silly to expect members to delete tempoary internet files whenever they want to post. Not everyone is comfortable messing with files on their computers. Furthermore, I have posted on other boards (not VBulletin) and I have never had to delete temporary internet files in order to post.

                        Again thank you for your suggestion.

                        Widebertha


                        Originally posted by FALGirl
                        Check to see if the users who are having problems have Zone Alarm or another similar firewall type application running.

                        I have been plagued by this problem on one of my boards that I used VB 3.x on and the same users have NO issues on my old 2.x board. We finally figured out that several of the users having problems were running Zone Alarm and that turning Zone Alarm off let them login, post etc.. everything they hadn't been able to do previously.

                        I do not know what is causing this, but there should not be cases where users can log into a vb 2.x board without problems and yet can't stay logged in on vb 3.x just because they're running ZA (with cookie acceptance on and all that).

                        I also don't know if this is what is affecting all of my users who are having problems. We just figured out the Zone Alarm issue yesterday, but so far everyone who's had problems has reported that they were using Zone Alarm and can now log in with Zone Alarm off.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Widebertha
                          I also think it is silly to expect members to delete tempoary internet files whenever they want to post. Not everyone is comfortable messing with files on their computers.
                          Just so people don't get the wrong idea, no one from Jelsoft ever told you that people need to delete temporary internet files whenever they want to post something. That would indeed be 'silly'. It was one suggestion to see if it would clear up the problem. I also pointed out many times that one of the major things to check was the firewall software running on these computers. Firewalls and any other software that filters internet traffic can cause problems like this.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                          Steve Machol Photography


                          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Reply to Steve

                            The members that have problems posting on my board do NOT have firewall software running. I have triple checked with them about this. I first asked them to lower their security settings since I thought that was what you meant. I then emailed them three times asking whether they used firewall software. They had someone experienced check and NO they do not run firewall software.

                            Everytime I have asked for help with this problem the answer has been that my members should delete their temporary internet files. What else can I presume but that this is the only way they can post?

                            Interestingly enough after doing a search on this community board last night I realized I am not the only person with a VBulletin board that has run into this problem with members suddenly not being able to post.



                            Originally posted by Steve Machol
                            Just so people don't get the wrong idea, no one from Jelsoft ever told you that people need to delete temporary internet files whenever they want to post something. That would indeed be 'silly'. It was one suggestion to see if it would clear up the problem. I also pointed out many times that one of the major things to check was the firewall software running on these computers. Firewalls and any other software that filters internet traffic can cause problems like this.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Any other reported login problem have all been related to the same issues already mentioned, something on the user end interfering with cookies. This could be firewalls, browser settings, ad-blockers, pop-up blockers, company or ISP proxy servers, etc.

                              However perhaps we've been looking at this the wrong way. I've been trying to help resolve the underlying cookie issue and have been unable to get my points across in a way that is understood.

                              Let's try a different tact. Instead of trying to fix the cookie problem, let's set these users accounts to use sessions instead of cookies. To do this open their user profiles in the Admin CP and set both these options to 'No':

                              - Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)
                              - Browse the board with cookies

                              Let's see if this make a difference.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                              Steve Machol Photography


                              Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X