members cannot log in again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• members cannot log in again

Had several emails from members of my message board this morning. They can log in but when they try to post they are directed to a message that says they cannot log in and they loose the message they have just tried to post.

I have checked with the members to make sure that they have enabled all the right things in their User CP's.

I had a corrupted thread problem on Sunday night and I am wondering if that is contributing to this problem. Could this problem have caused some other disruption in my files to cause this login and posting problem?

Does this mean that my members have to do the whole "delete their temporary internet files and ask for a new password" routine in order to post again? They are getting rather annoyed with this recurring problem and I cannot say that I blame them.

I need a permanent solution to this problem. I was going to buy the "technician installed' upgrade for my message board but with this recurring problem I am hesitant to pay more money than I already have for this message board.

Widebertha

I remember the support tickets on this. We could find nothing wrong on the vB or server side that would cause these problems. Have you tried logging in as one of the members ghaving this probopem to see if you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

This behavior can be the result of a user not having the Automatically login when you return to the site? option enabled in their User CP. If this option is disabled then a user will be logged out after the cookie timeout is up (Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [User and registration options] -> Timeout for Cookie).

If the user is idling on a new posting screen for longer than the cookie timeout then they will be logged out "in the background" so that when they hit "Submit" they will be prompted to login again.

Comment

Would changing the cookie time out help?

My cookie timeout is set at 900. What happens if I set this to 10? Would this stop the problem my members are having? They can log on but when they post a message and click submit they are pompted to log in again with a message that they do not have access to the board.

I have had three members quit over this problem in the last week. One of my experienced moderators has decided she has had enough. She was able to log on and post for a number of weeks and suddenly she is no longer able to post. She has changed no setting on computer and has followed all the suggestions that support has sent to me.

Seems my only option at this point is to hang in there until all my moderators resign in frustration and my posters find a more user friendly board to post on.

Widebertha

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
        This behavior can be the result of a user not having the Automatically login when you return to the site? option enabled in their User CP. If this option is disabled then a user will be logged out after the cookie timeout is up (Admin CP -> Options -> vBulletin Options -> [User and registration options] -> Timeout for Cookie).

If the user is idling on a new posting screen for longer than the cookie timeout then they will be logged out "in the background" so that when they hit "Submit" they will be prompted to login again.

Comment

Originally posted by Widebertha
          My cookie timeout is set at 900. What happens if I set this to 10? Would this stop the problem my members are having? They can log on but when they post a message and click submit they are pompted to log in again with a message that they do not have access to the board.
          That would aggravate the problem if I am correct about the cause. Setting the cookie timeout to a larger value would help those users who don't use cookies.

Comment

Jake is right. Lowering the cookie timeout will only make matters worse.

As for the problems these users are having neither Cary or I were able to duplicate them. We were both able to easily posts as these members without having any of the problems they reported. We've given every recommendation we can, but unfortunately unless we can sit down at their computers there's nothing more we can do.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X