Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup up 600mb

I have VB2.0 and have no forum backup.

If I choose the backup database option and save everything, will it compress down much or not? Maybe to 400mb? Much smaller? Larger?

I ask because I am short on space on my host!

Jon

Originally posted by Jon12345
    I have VB2.0 and have no forum backup.

If I choose the backup database option and save everything, will it compress down much or not? Maybe to 400mb? Much smaller? Larger?

I ask because I am short on space on my host!

Jon
    my 1.4GB database gzip compressed to 950MB IIRC

but most hosts may give an allowance for backups, or you may need to pay your host a fee for temporary additional web space for your backup
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Can I backup the data straight onto a host other than the one that stores the mysql data? i.e. Host A holds 600mb forum data in mysql. I back up to Host B into a directory, therefore avoiding my 1 gig limit on Host A.

Is this possible? If so, why would I type into the "Path and Filename on server" box?

Jon

Comment

It's very unlikely a 600Mb database will be backed up completely using the Admin CP backup option or the option in the upgrade script. The only reliable method of backing up a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. Please see the instructions in Step 1 here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

P.S. If you host provides CPanel you light be able to use the built-in backup option there.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X