Three in One Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three in One Question

1. I tried logging in to my BB Admin CP tonight but it gave me a standard message about possibly wrong username and password. Then it split the screen up sort of like frames but with a login section in each frame, e.g. username and password fields were in each frame-like section. I logged into the larger frame-like window and it let me in but I could not see the Admin CP menu that is usually on the right. I logged in again in the smaller frame-like section where the Admin CP Options window usually is - then it let me see the options and the scrollbar. However every time I tried to do something it gave me the same bulljunk message about check your username and password. I'd have to log in every time I wanted to do the slightest little thing withing the Admin CP Options panels. The only thing I can think of is that it is possibly because my regular username and password for the forum is the same as my admin stuff?

2. I don't know where to find the newly registered users who need validation. I usually to go the find users, then list all users awaiting confirmation. Is this the correct place to go or is a screen supposed to pop up after you log in saying there are XX number of users awaiting verification?

3. After I email a newly registered user their password they can't post?? I've checked all the preferences in the groups as well as individual permissions and everything seems to be in order. The users get as far as hitting new thread, then type. When they hit submit then they get an error message saying they are not allowed or don't have permissions.

Oh BTW I have some weird characters showing up in my browser title window only when I'm in the forum it's like 1024:599 - vBulletin Community Forum or whatever window I'm in. What are the numbers before the title?

I really need some help here!!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by RMM; Fri 13th Feb '04, 3:38pm. Reason: Forgot one part
    2.5 years of Pudendal Nerve Entrapment (PNE) along with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Gone through 7 doctors and 4 therapists and live severe pain. Now headed to surgery.

What is Pudendal Nerve Entrapment and what are the symptoms and causes: Find out at:
    http://www.pudendalnerve.info

1. This happens when you've made a change to the domain or the cookie domain and cookie path. Unfrotunately the only way to fix this is to edit the cookie domain and path directly in the database.

Run this query:

SELECT * FROM template WHERE title='options'

Then locate and correct the cookie domain and cookie path settings. After you login into the Admijn CP (you may need to login to both sides of the screen, you need to change this again in the vBulletin Options and save those changes.

2. Not sure what you mean. Are you moderating new users or are you talioking about email validation. The Moderated user link will show up on the main page of the Admin CP when you log in.

3. Again I'm confused about what you're doing. Why and how are you sending people their passwords? Since the passwords are encrypted the only option is to send them a temporary password with which to login with. However in a normally managed forum you should never need to do this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

New Users

Well new users sign up right!! I have the forum options set to validate new users. So what you're saying is that there should be a button/note at the top of the Admin CP that shows users awaiting validation?

Some users were able to login but not post. I don't have any validations turned on for posting so I don't understand why they could log on but not post.
      2.5 years of Pudendal Nerve Entrapment (PNE) along with Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction. Gone through 7 doctors and 4 therapists and live severe pain. Now headed to surgery.

What is Pudendal Nerve Entrapment and what are the symptoms and causes: Find out at:

Comment

query results

Steve you most wonderful vBulletin queen bee - not literally a queen bee but there's no King Bee so...

Look here for the results of the query you gave me to run

http://home.socal.rr.com/fsimages/ResultsOfQueryl.htm

Thanks again.

Comment

You now need to click on the 'edit' link and scroll down the values box until you find the cookiedomain and cookiepath variables. You should reset these to:

$cookiedomain = "";
          $cookiepath = "/";

Then save the changes

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Okay Steve, I'm trusting you

Steve, so after I make the changes in the database directly like you mentioned:

You should reset these to:

$cookiedomain = "";
            $cookiepath = "/";

Then save the changes.

I then log into the Admin CP and everything should be okay? Does this indicate that the forum software will pickup the cookie path again? And do you know a good cookie reader to go along with the forum cookies?

Also, do you know what is the best Chat software to use with the forum, not just a one-on-one chat but a 5-40 person chat say once per week?

Thank you once again Steve.

Sorry for the edit but do you know how to make a moderator's name invisible in the moderator's box or eliminate the moderator's column altogether? I'd rather prefer to make their name invisible, not only in the online users but in the moderator's column also. Got some really different people out there.

Thanks again

RMM
            Last edited by RMM; Fri 13th Feb '04, 11:42am. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

After loggin into the Admin CP, you should check these settings under vBulletin options and change them again. (That comes from a different table.) Once you do this people should have no login problems.

For questions about add-ons and non-vB scripts. please ask over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Okay Steve but what about invisibility

Steve, what about making a moderator invisible in the moderator's column or deleting the moderator's column altogether? Can that be done in the coding? I know you can make a moderator or admin invisible in the online users list?

Comment

Here's instructions on removing the Mod column:

http://www.vbulletintemplates.com/mo...php?threadid=7

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Same problem happening again

Steve, the same problem is happening again when I go to log on I get the two sides/frames with two login screens. My newly registered users aren't able to post.

I followed your instructions about manually changing the database like:

You now need to click on the 'edit' link and scroll down the values box until you find the cookiedomain and cookiepath variables. You should reset these to:

$cookiedomain = "";
                    $cookiepath = "/";

I saved the changes and then went and logged on to the Admin CP. Perhaps I'm not formatting the imformation I'm putting in correctly. I have entered the cookie domain as .pudendalnerve.info and the cookie path as /forums/PNForum/cookies.

Is that the correct format or do I not need the period before the domain. I do have a cookies directory but is the format of the information I input correct?

After I changed it the first time and saved it. I shut off the computer after making the changes and went to lunch. Now lookingi in the database I have these values:

$cookiedomain = ".pudendalnerve.info";
                    $cookiepath = "/forums/PNForum/cookies";

Boy is this a lot of learning!!

Comment

Originally posted by RMM
                      I saved the changes and then went and logged on to the Admin CP. Perhaps I'm not formatting the imformation I'm putting in correctly. I have entered the cookie domain as .pudendalnerve.info and the cookie path as /forums/PNForum/cookies.
                      What I said was that you need to change these setting to:

$cookiedomain = "";
                      $cookiepath = "/";

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X