Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I back up my forums??

Backing up forums

We recommend that you make a complete backup of your database before you upgrade. Please be sure to check your backups, that they are complete before continuing with an upgrade. We had reports that PHP was causing time out errors when creating the back up SQL, and this was causing for incomplete or corrupted backups. The safest way to do a backup is to use the mysqldump utility through telnet, as it will not suffer from any such problems.

whats a mysql dump and what is telnet? and how do i back up my forums?

thank you

See Steps 1 and 3:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

wheres my root directory? i dont understand any of the steps.. i dont know where to start.. do i open my ftp first? or i type something into my browser?

Comment

You need telnet or ssh access to your server. The first thing to do is ask your host if you have this access.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i asked my hosts if they had telnet or ssh access.. and they said this..

"You can backup your forum information by downloading the files through FTP and also through a mysql Dump through phpMyAdmin to retrieve the forum content."

do you know what that means?

Comment

Unfortunately it means that they don't support a reliable method of backing up your forums. Since you said you are getting PHP timeout errors when trying to make a backup , you will get those same errors using phpMyAdmin.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I haven't mentioned anything about timeout errors. I've never attempted backing up my forums before. That's why I'm so cautious about it right now because this is my first time and I don't want to lose my websites data.

Comment

When you do a do a backup theres no chance of losing the data.

But nova if your host wont make a mysql dump backup for you, or will not give you SSH/Telnet access to make a realilble back up its time to search for a new host /

Comment

i don't even know the first place to begin to back my website up... and if there isn't any chance of losing data than how come using ssh or telnet is so important?

Comment

I meant during a backup, sorry.

While hosts usualy do backups reglary you should always have control of your own backups, incase somthing goes wrong

Comment

that's what im trying to do right now but how?

Comment

If your host cannot give you access to telnet / SSH your not going to be able to get a relaible backup from your hosting provider unless they do it for you from SSH.

Comment

i just want to upgrade my forums... how important is backing them up really?

Comment

Usualy there are no problems doing an upgrade, but any number of things may go wrong, so its always a good idea to backup

if your going to be upgrading from vB2 to vB3 they you really want to make a backup because of how long the process is (There are alot of steps

Comment

well... im upgrading from 2.2.9 to 2.3.4 actually... so im not sure what i should do or where i should begin.. but my forums at the moment aren't running very well at all.. and im hoping that an upgrade will smooth some problems out.. but retaining all of the posts on my site is essential.

thanks for your input so far.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X